• Connecticut River Line (Pan Am)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by atholrail

ED2 last Tuesday had zero PCA's out of EDFLD, but did have 20 sullivans on the rear.

Maybe the month without service during the winter finally put the nail in the coffin?

Anyhow I'm sure NS is very pleased!

*EDPL had 20 sullivans on the rear, not ED2
Last edited by atholrail on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by newpylong

that certainly is not good news... I will see if I can find out more.

Yup, confirmed they did lose PCA. Unreal.
  by Cadet57

newpylong wrote:that certainly is not good news... I will see if I can find out more.

Yup, confirmed they did lose PCA. Unreal.
They were a long time customer too. Maybe NS will give them some incentive to come back once the line is rehabbed. That or give PVRR all of Holyoke as it seems Guilford could care less.
  by atholrail

Mt Tom seems to still be getting coal via CSX thru WSPFLD yard. Was down there today, Loaded coal train sitting in the yard, also a large coal pile waiting to get trucked up to the plant. Wonder how long CSX has this contract for?

http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=187884
  by newpylong

Pretty sad right?
  by MCER401

I wonder how NS feels as they continue to pump out the cash on their $140 mil investment while PAR dumps the PAS customer base and diverts the Maine traffic to CSX at Barbers.
  by BigLou80

atholrail wrote:Mt Tom seems to still be getting coal via CSX thru WSPFLD yard. Was down there today, Loaded coal train sitting in the yard, also a large coal pile waiting to get trucked up to the plant. Wonder how long CSX has this contract for?

http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=187884
They lost the coal plant too ? How in the world did they F that up ?
  by Mcoov

Never underestimate PAR's enigmatic behavior, and something tells me that that's exactly what the Prancing Pony did.
  by Jedijk88

There's no such thing as a captive shipper when Pan Am is your railroad.
  by HarmonicRock

The coal pile in West Springfield has been there since late last year.

I'm pretty sure I heard a loaded P&W train waddle down to Mt Tom one night a couple of weeks ago...
  by newpylong

I dont think they lost it entirely but it is nowhere near what is used to be (inbound coal by rail that is).
  by Jedijk88

Mt. Tom isn't burning the amount of coal that they used to. What I heard is that it costs an arm and a leg to run that plant and the cost of electricity is substantially higher than when produced elsewhere. Over the winter Mt. Tom was largely used only as backup.
  by gprimr1

Sometimes I wish the laws of capitalism would finally catch up to Pan Am and they'd get bought out or go out of business.