• Commuter Rail to Rhode Island Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BandA

jbvb wrote:Target 12 doesn't pass my math test. If, at year 4 of 10, Wickford Jct. has less than 15% of the projected year 10 ridership, there's clearly a problem But if T.F. Greene already has nearly 80% of the projected 2020 ridership, it's well on the way. Alas, that isn't enough to help the overall picture for the route.
I don't know much about RI, but TF Green is a destination, and I'm guessing Wickford JCT is an uncongested place. By overestimating ridership they tricked the feds into giving them money (to remove cars from the highway that hasn't happened), but they wasted money on a garage that will probably have to be rebuilt before it's needed. People going to the airport take public transportation to avoid high parking costs or expensive private transportation. Also TF Green is just off I-95 & US-1 & Wickford seems to be on a minor highway.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

If that's the agreement they signed, then they have to pay up. But it's a little too early to be writing Wickford off. That stop is not going to be seeing a full schedule until the purely intrastate commuter rail service ramps up. And ramp up slowly at that from starter service to Westerly to the eventual full-blown schedule. It's essentially a pre-build station that precedes the service by it'll see by a full half-decade. Maybe they shouldn't have overbuilt it with so much parking, but it was never going to be a stop you judge on success or failure during the 2010's decade because Providence Line wasn't the service it was built for.
  by Ryanontherails

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:-- Pawtucket infill (which is first in line for new stops) gets this: http://projects.vhb.com/pawtucketcommut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tation.pdf. 2 side, 2 center, P&W on a passing track other side of the southbound platform. That is expected to be adequate to accommodate Providence-Woonsocket service. When passenger service on the P&W main increases enough to need more capacity at this stop the P&W track gets a gauntlet installed, a platform edge gets installed on the P&W-facing side of the southbound platform, and it gets turned into a full-service island.
So I was wondering: why have they decided to build a completely new Pawtucket/Central Falls station? Wouldn't it be cheaper and/or easier to just renovate the old station? The platforms and stairs are decayed but the building itself doesn't appear to be in that bad of shape, at least not in the pictures I've seen. A renovated building would be much better than a platform and walkways.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

In all honesty, to re open that station would be a total waste. Limited parking in the area, just another stop for us to slow down, and stop. The neighborhood isn't the friendliest, and most importantly, holding up Amtrak...they will probably fight this, they don't like it as it is that we hold up their trains on the Corridor as much as we do with all of our stops. South Attleboro and Providence handle the crowds just fine
  by deathtopumpkins

I've also heard that the existing Pawtucket station being on a sharp curve would be problematic if it got high-level platforms.

Ryanontherails wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:-- Pawtucket infill (which is first in line for new stops) gets this: http://projects.vhb.com/pawtucketcommut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tation.pdf. 2 side, 2 center, P&W on a passing track other side of the southbound platform. That is expected to be adequate to accommodate Providence-Woonsocket service. When passenger service on the P&W main increases enough to need more capacity at this stop the P&W track gets a gauntlet installed, a platform edge gets installed on the P&W-facing side of the southbound platform, and it gets turned into a full-service island.
So I was wondering: why have they decided to build a completely new Pawtucket/Central Falls station? Wouldn't it be cheaper and/or easier to just renovate the old station? The platforms and stairs are decayed but the building itself doesn't appear to be in that bad of shape, at least not in the pictures I've seen. A renovated building would be much better than a platform and walkways.
That's exactly the problem. Structurally the building IS found to be in that bad a shape. They're not even sure enough preservation bucks can be raised to keep it from eventually having to be demolished if the structural integrity gets any worse and starts to become a threat to the tracks below.

Then the other noted issues about the curve, parking, etc.

It was under consideration for a long time, but it was just too flagrantly neglected all those years. The cost of trying to salvage it has spiked so sharply that it's not justifiable to do for a working train station any longer.
  by The EGE

Groundbreaking at Kingston for third track and platforms took place on June 30th. Both third track and two high-level platforms are fully funded ($26M ARRA, $15M Amtrak). Extending MBTA service to Kingston was explicitly discussed by the Rhode Island governor at the event - certainly a good sign of progress.
  by BostonUrbEx

How long is the third track supposed to be? Only a mile or two for the station only?

BostonUrbEx wrote:How long is the third track supposed to be? Only a mile or two for the station only?
Cat towers are spaced for tri-track going 1/2 mile north of the station. South of the station they're triple only to the existing switch for the Arnold Lumber freight siding, 1/4 mile from the platform tip. Since this has all been pre-provisioned from before electrification, that's got to be it. Anything more requires moving DT-spaced cat towers.

They don't need to do any more because the only non-AMTK traffic way down here is going to be RIDOT commuter rail. The only freight that roams this far are the run-as-directeds to Arnold's with all else terminating at Davisville. Whatever MBTA service plants its foot here first is just as a bridge era until RIDOT intrastate gets established and they can cull the Providence Line back to Wickford or T.F. Green at the outer limits of the Boston commute market. So Wickford's the southernmost station the NEC Improvements Master Plan specs as an eventual 4-track with 2 side platforms on turnouts; Kingston and Westerly are planned for tri-track only. Amtrak says that's adequate for 2030 volumes since the service density limiters in that area are all governed by constraints way over in Connecticut. RIDOT will never have enough demand to saturate the Wickford-Westerly stretch by its lonesome; population density in South County is nowhere near high enough.

Furthest the third track ever went historically was 1 mile south of the station at a freight siding that went to what's now Great Neck Rd. You can see it's still graded for triple down that far where the N-S running power lines bisect the tracks. On north end it went triple all the way through Wickford Jct. to Stony Ln. about a mile south of the present-day junction with the Quonset Industrial Track in Davisville. ROW still graded for that too.
  by YamaOfParadise

Yeah, the only way service in South County is ever going to be viable is if the commuter rail service extended westward into Connecticut at least to New London. There is a significant number of people who commute from Rhode Island to Groton (for Pfizer and Electric Boat), and to New London proper. I imagine something like this that is roughly equivalent to Amtrak's old Beacon Hill service could do better in contemporary times, especially now that states are more willing to actually give funding for commuter rail operations. The endpoints of such service would be debatable, though. I think Providence <-> New London service would be the bare minimum requirement to get any significant passenger numbers. Extending to New Haven would help with the logistical problems of terminating in New London, and it would probably also increase ridership. Assuming everyone played nice, you'd also be able to roll R.I. commuter rail (in South County) and SLE into one service, which would play into the service logistics of extending commuter rail to the eastern part of CT. Of course, though, extending that to New Haven and extending to Boston is completely dependent on the capacity issues along the route to either city. BOS <-> PVD is just plain congested, so I don't know how much of that can be actually solved. If we make the assumption Amtrak builds their coveted new inland alignment for the NEC in 2 decades according to their longterm plan, (as R.I. commuter rail has a long-term roll-out ahead of it anyways,) I can see a NHV <-> PVD service using some of the freed up train slots potentially being viable.

Just looking at South County itself, though, I wonder if a stop between Kingston and Westerly would be viable with whatever service would come to it. Historically there were three stops there, Bradford, Wood River Junction, and Shannock, with Shannock being the only one keeping service into the Beacon Hill days. Wood River Junction is about halfway in between Kingston and Westerly, but it has a small population density in the immediate area of the old station. Shannock and Bradford both have decently sized residential populations in the immediate areas, with some commercial and industrial areas. But both seem like they would be too close to Kingston and Westerly respectively by train, as well as being within about a 10 minute driving range to their nearby stations. Flag stop(s) might be a solution, even if they're a pain to do. Though, if you take the potential development into account that transportation can have, putting any sort of station into any of those spots could be worthwhile; even when excluding all the land protection areas, there is a lot of land in southern R.I. that's vacant.

YamaOfParadise wrote:Yeah, the only way service in South County is ever going to be viable is if the commuter rail service extended westward into Connecticut at least to New London. There is a significant number of people who commute from Rhode Island to Groton (for Pfizer and Electric Boat), and to New London proper. I imagine something like this that is roughly equivalent to Amtrak's old Beacon Hill service could do better in contemporary times, especially now that states are more willing to actually give funding for commuter rail operations. The endpoints of such service would be debatable, though. I think Providence <-> New London service would be the bare minimum requirement to get any significant passenger numbers. Extending to New Haven would help with the logistical problems of terminating in New London, and it would probably also increase ridership. Assuming everyone played nice, you'd also be able to roll R.I. commuter rail (in South County) and SLE into one service, which would play into the service logistics of extending commuter rail to the eastern part of CT. Of course, though, extending that to New Haven and extending to Boston is completely dependent on the capacity issues along the route to either city. BOS <-> PVD is just plain congested, so I don't know how much of that can be actually solved. If we make the assumption Amtrak builds their coveted new inland alignment for the NEC in 2 decades according to their longterm plan, (as R.I. commuter rail has a long-term roll-out ahead of it anyways,) I can see a NHV <-> PVD service using some of the freed up train slots potentially being viable.

Just looking at South County itself, though, I wonder if a stop between Kingston and Westerly would be viable with whatever service would come to it. Historically there were three stops there, Bradford, Wood River Junction, and Shannock, with Shannock being the only one keeping service into the Beacon Hill days. Wood River Junction is about halfway in between Kingston and Westerly, but it has a small population density in the immediate area of the old station. Shannock and Bradford both have decently sized residential populations in the immediate areas, with some commercial and industrial areas. But both seem like they would be too close to Kingston and Westerly respectively by train, as well as being within about a 10 minute driving range to their nearby stations. Flag stop(s) might be a solution, even if they're a pain to do. Though, if you take the potential development into account that transportation can have, putting any sort of station into any of those spots could be worthwhile; even when excluding all the land protection areas, there is a lot of land in southern R.I. that's vacant.
They aren't dealing with intermediates between Kingston and Westerly yet because they still have to build all the more important intermediates north of Wickford--Cranston, East Greenwich, West Davisville--before it matters. Their grand plan for commuter rail calls for all 3 future services--Providence Line, South County, and Woonsocket--to overlap each other at all stops between Pawtucket and T.F. Green so Metro Providence has the absolute densest possible service frequencies inside I-295. Pawtucket's already full-funded for design and advancing along. And of course Green (and Wickford) were half-built to make it inexpensive to drop down and tie in the northbound platform turnouts. So that means Cranston is the next-most important infill to go guns-blazing at since it's the last unbuilt stop common to every future commuter rail schedule.

To begin starter South County service at useful--but skeletal--frequencies, all they need to do is finish Pawtucket, drop in the missing halves of Green & Wickford, do the same tri-track renovation job @ Westerly as they're doing at Kingston, get Westerly layover set up, and get the inbound layover (expanded Pawtucket and/or whatever midpoint site they're looking at this week) expanded. To hit full-blown 2030 service levels to South County the only other dependencies are Cranston, East Greenwich, West Davisville and more service density in the overlap region to simply make Metro Providence/inside-295 exert a much bigger gravitational pull. (I guess if you're talking overlaps exerting gravity that's also where SLE @ Westerly comes into the picture).

Recall as well, they're keeping these builds separated from each other so small funding shots coming in out-of-order get useful things done without holding a small and budget-challenged state to any big monolithic builds with big delay potential if 100% funding isn't immediately available. So this is one of the reasons why Cranston infill is not an ironclad requirement despite being in the overlap region for every conceivable service. It would be the next most-important one to fund for sure; they may even want to wait for some design kick-off $$$ on Cranston before initiating service to Westerly. But the northern terminus at Pawtucket is the only one you have to have before "a" train/"any" train can make its inaugural run to Westerly. So they keep the builds firewalled like that for maximum wiggle room and play it by ear on when they've got just enough in-place to stick their necks out and start running some trains. It's very much the Wickford philosophy extended. Yes, it'll be incomplete. Yes, the trains will be infrequent, empty, and only semi-useful for much of the first decade...and they'll take criticism for that like they are at Wickford. But by minimizing their dependencies on steel-and-concrete builds they get on sooner with the long-term process of initiating/marketing/building permanent fixed-route service.

So I'm sure there'll be a day when Intermediates between Kingston and Westerly help generate South County ridership. If some community really gets behind an advocacy for an intermediate they can make hay with it in short order. RIDOT just doesn't need to account for that right this second the way the planning process is being kept intentionally decentralized, and the focus weighted to the overlap region that'll eventually be served by the most concurrent CR schedules. For purposes of demand now through 2030 all of the main ridership growth in South County comes from pumping up destinations in the overlap region. That means, sure, a Shannock intermediate could help generate South County ridership...but not as much as TOD/walkability/new jobs in Warwick or Cranston or Davisville would help generate South County ridership at existing Kingston & Westerly (or--if paper barriers can be squared--the same in the opposite direction with SLE). So first things first, and things with lowest cost per new rider first. They've broken this whole master plan down modularly enough the order-of-build can shape-shift and adjust very nimbly.
  by The EGE

Effective Monday the 7th, all of RIPTA's route 65X and 66 bus trips are being rerouted to Wickford Junction from a park-and-ride lot a mile down the road. That means that the garage will be open 24/7, followed by the waiting room in January. That's good news for rail too - it establishes the station as a multimodal transit hub, and lowers the cost barrier for future weekend service.
  by YamaOfParadise

The EGE wrote:Effective Monday the 7th, all of RIPTA's route 65X and 66 bus trips are being rerouted to Wickford Junction from a park-and-ride lot a mile down the road. That means that the garage will be open 24/7, followed by the waiting room in January. That's good news for rail too - it establishes the station as a multimodal transit hub, and lowers the cost barrier for future weekend service.
I'm surprised they hadn't done that any earlier; kind of an important keystone to the functionality of Wickford Junction as a station, let alone all the commercial development around it. Hopefully it'll actually make a noticeable impact on ridership in the stats a year or two from now.
  by The EGE

There were substantial delays with dumping the park-and-ride. There were some commuters who were unhappy with moving from the free lot to the paid garage, and the shopping plaza developers were unhappy with it for some reason. But ultimately RIDOT - which is a very smart and progressive agency - got to do what's best.
  by The EGE

The high platforms at Kingston are actually under construction! Here's my shot (unfortunately in poor lighting) from Thursday:

There's a lot of platform supports at both ends of the southbound platform, and the pedestrian bridge is clearly being worked on. A substantial part of the new northbound platform, at left, is already in place. Catenary bases are being poured along the new track area, but no poles yet.