• Commuter rail to Pawtucket?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Rockingham Racer

I may have missed the answer, but: is commuter service in the cards for Pawtucket?
  by GP40MC1118

Don't think there is anything on the table for a stop in Pawtucket any time soon. The only thing the MBTA is doing there is building a layover yard for its equipment, so they can move out of the East Junction facility.

D

by CSX Conductor

Dave, any specific reason for moving out of East Junction? Besides being closer to Providence and South Attleboro.......and a more modern facility.
  by GP40MC1118

The major reason is the NIMBYS down at East Junction. They have been
hounding the MBTA to move out and find another spot for years. Like the
situation in Bradford on the Northside, its been an ongoing battle royal.

If service expands to TF Green environs or Warwick, it probably makes
sense to be closer to the starting point of the trips instead of an even
longer deadhead move. But the prime motivating factor here is the
NIMBYS, no doubt about it.

D

by CSX Conductor

I see, the NIMBY's which probably came after the railroad :(

by Cotuit

There's discussion about it within the RI Dept. of Transportation. But as of now it is only talk.

The talk has it that the old station would be renovated and reopened, and that RIPTA bus service in Pawtucket/Central Falls would be rerouted, rescheduled to work with the rail service. The station would have very limited parking and rely on people getting to it by foot or by RIPTA buses.

It would help redevelopment in Pawtucket undoubtably. There are many people who work in Boston moving to restored mills in Pawtucket right now.

Serivice to T.F. Green definately takes precedence at this time over Pawtucket.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

they said the neighbors couldn't handle the noise, and crews were working on the old Pawtucket station platforms last Wed. i saw it as i passed them on a train

by Cotuit

The Pawtucket Department of Planning has chosen an engineer to explore the possibilities of resuming commuter rail to Pawtucket. The city wants the old Pawtucket/Central Falls station renovated but federal unding guidelines require that at least one other site be investigated.

The current owner of the station is open to restoring rail service, but the stars still have to line up to actually make it all happen.

Providence Journal story