• Commuter Rail Problems 3/17/06 Fitchburg Line

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by GP40MC 1116

From the MBTA website:

Service has been suspended between Porter Square Station and Belmont Station due to operational difficulties.
Shuttle buses will carry passengers between Porter Station and Belmont.
Expect significant delays.
We apologize for the inconvenience.

Comuter Rail Train VS Pedestrian anyone know of any other info. Jesh if it wasn't worse a Friday and not to mention during Rush Hour and St P's Day.

Update 5:57 PM I just got it confirmed from my incident paging network I am connected with, Brighton St RR Tracks, looks to be a mess

by NellsChoo

While driving home, noticed police car blocking Brighton Street at the Cross St light. So the road to Hill Crossing in Belmont is closed. Have the scanner on... not sure exactly what is happening...

JD
6:03pm

by NellsChoo

6:50pm

Neighbors rode bikes to the scene... confirmed an elderly man was hit by the train. Tried to make sure son didn't see the "results", though he was disgusted by the sight of another man who walked his son right up to it all. Word is the train horn was blown well in advance of the accident...

JD

by kwf

very sad...can't people pay attention to the gates bells and lights? why is it so difficult? :(

by octr202

I wonder if it was 468 (inbound) or 471 (outbound). With the near universal no-horn zones, those inbounds can really sneak up on someone quietly. I know the gates and flashers and bells are there, but there's no substitute for a horn blast to get people's attention.

*Edit: This supposes that the horn that was sounded came after it was already too late...
  by GP40MC1118

It was Train No. 429 which struck and killed a trespasser right at the crossing.

No.468 was terminated at Belmont and passengers were bussed to
Porter Square. 468 was brought down to 429 and passengers transferred
to 468, which went west to Fitchburg.

d

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

yea i heard about this on the red line tongiht, thats so sad :(

by NellsChoo

If what the witnesses said is true, why didn't the man get out of the way? Supposedly he was elderley, so maybe he couldn't hear things. But how about eyes? Never cross tracks without LOOKING!

Not enough details... Nothing in the Globe this morning.

No matter what the details, still sad... :(

by GP40MC 1116

NellsChoo wrote:If what the witnesses said is true, why didn't the man get out of the way? Supposedly he was elderley, so maybe he couldn't hear things. But how about eyes? Never cross tracks without LOOKING!

Not enough details... Nothing in the Globe this morning.

No matter what the details, still sad... :(
Very odd, i still don't see how someone can miss something that big comming at a very fast speed and even to not realize they are crossing the train tracks to even start with!

by NellsChoo

UPDATE:

Turns out it was not an elderly man. It was a local in his 30's who commited suicide. We are told once the officials have all the info straight, you will see this sad event in the papers.

by GP40MC 1116

NellsChoo wrote:UPDATE:

Turns out it was not an elderly man. It was a local in his 30's who commited suicide. We are told once the officials have all the info straight, you will see this sad event in the papers.

Thats NEVER GOOD to hear :( blah, well we shal see soon, Nells keep us posted if it comes in the Boston Globe

by Robert Paniagua

Maybe they should put up those signs you see at the entrance of the Tobin Bridge:

DESPERATE?

CALL THE SAMARITANS AT 617-247-0220

along railroad crossings as well.