• Commuter Rail cab car: what kind of car is this?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by astrosa

Go here and look up the 1600-series cars.

by astrosa

Edit: why did the previous post just disappear?

Yes, these cars are closely related to the Comet I and II owned by NJ Transit.

As for the horns, first of all they only have 3 chimes. I'm not a horn expert, but judging from the mounting bracket and the length of the bells, it looks like this is most likely a Nathan K3 (all bells forward). This makes sense because the MBTA diesels use a K5 with all bells forward. And yes, like most of the MBTA's air horns, these do have the "snow cones" covering the bells.

by CSX Conductor

Just curios as to whether or not the original poster knows the location of the photo? I think it looks like the shot was taken from the Revere Street overhead bridge in Revere looking North.

by WonderlandMan

Being from Revere, I agree with CSX Conductor on that call. I pass that bridge almost daily, surprised I didnt notice it before it was mentioned..

by One of One-Sixty

astrosa wrote:Edit: why did the previous post just disappear?

Yes, these cars are closely related to the Comet I and II owned by NJ Transit.

As for the horns, first of all they only have 3 chimes. I'm not a horn expert, but judging from the mounting bracket and the length of the bells, it looks like this is most likely a Nathan K3 (all bells forward). This makes sense because the MBTA diesels use a K5 with all bells forward. And yes, like most of the MBTA's air horns, these do have the "snow cones" covering the bells.
I was trying to edit my post to add something and accidently hit delete. Thats what I get for doing too many things at once.

Are Blind Trailer Coaches just regular coaches, how does that work?

Also what is the difference between the BTC-1A and BTC-1B
CSX Conductor wrote:Just curios as to whether or not the original poster knows the location of the photo? I think it looks like the shot was taken from the Revere Street overhead bridge in Revere looking North.
No I do not unfortnately, I found that picture while doing research on the Bomb Comet Cars and MBTA cars of similar design.

Do any of you guys know where I can get better shots and more picutre of these?

Thanks

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

try http://photos.nerail.org/, go under search by Railroad and look for the MBTA and go through the pictures

by sery2831

Check out my site, I have many commuter rail shots...

http://sery2831.smugmug.com

by astrosa

You got it right, BTCs are straight coaches while CTCs are cab cars.

There's not much difference between the BTC-1A and BTC-1B except that, as you'll notice on the roster, the BTC-1As have more seats at 127 vs. 122. I'm not actually sure why this is, but other than that, the cars are virtually the same. Pretty sure they both have similar or identical underbody arrangements that follow the 'standard' Comet/Horizon layout.

The BTC-1Cs are different story because when built by Pullman, they were very similar to the NJT Comet I cars with the main exception of being designed for high or low platforms. However, they were later rebuilt to match the other BTC-1s in most respects, but the underbody arrangement is very different. Many of them are also equipped with automatic doors for service on certain lines, and are denoted as such by a yellow 'D' next to the roadnumber.

by Robert Paniagua

And it's obviously not one of the deactivated-cab 1600s, that photo must have been a recent shot, hard to see the number, too.

by One of One-Sixty

Does all the cab car have the bars on the windows in the cab?

by 130MM

CSX Conductor wrote:Just curios as to whether or not the original poster knows the location of the photo? I think it looks like the shot was taken from the Revere Street overhead bridge in Revere looking North.
My track chart shows it as Beach St. MP 6.67. And that's Wonderland Interlocking in the distance.

by CSX Conductor

One of One-Sixty wrote:Does all the cab car have the bars on the windows in the cab?
Yes.

BTW, thanks 130MM. That's what my mental track chart was telling me, LOL. :P

by sery2831

Yes all the cab cars have bars(gheto grills) over the windows.

The interior difference between the two Blind cars is that one has a closet like the control cars(600s) and the other does not have any closet inside(300s) the body. All the 600s are south while all the 300s are north.

by astrosa

Thanks for clearing that up about the interior.

I had noticed the difference in assignment too, since I don't think I've seen a 300 on the south side or a 600 on the north side. Wasn't sure if this was definitely the case, though.

One important point is that the 1600 cab cars are only used on the north side, although I did once photograph a special train in South Station that consisted of GP9 no. 1921 pulling one each of 1600, 1500 and 1700 cab cars.