• Coming to America -Advice needed .

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by David Benton

thanks Mike , seems 50/50 to me . Now considering another plan , perhaps staying in the west / mid west , rather than heading east , as you say probably alot less stressful .
  by Jersey_Mike

David Benton wrote:thanks Mike , seems 50/50 to me . Now considering another plan , perhaps staying in the west / mid west , rather than heading east , as you say probably alot less stressful .
If you are looking for an American rail adventure, what better place to stay than Chicago. The Holiday Inn offers a number of rooms with views of both CNW and Union Station approaches.
  by Jersey_Mike

There should be enough information in those photos for you to figure out its location :-)
  by Gilbert B Norman

Likely, this is the Holiday Inn in question:

http://www.martplaza.com/map-directions/index.cfm

As you can see from the map, and Mike's photos, views of Both CUS and C&NW (Ogilvie Transportation Ctr) are unobstructed.

I've only attended seminars there and ate their rubber chicken banquet lunches; beyond that I cannot comment regarding the property.

If rates need be considered, most of the major brands "econo-plus" outlets are in the River North area. This includes such properties as Homewood and Hampton Inn (Hilton), Courtyard and Spring Hill (Marriott) and Holiday Inn Express (Intercontintental). This area is roundly 1.5 miles North and East of CUS and offers an array of restaurant and entertainment establishments.

Any of those noted hotels would be acceptable to me - and I'm not known for traveling about on the cheap (or likewise on the Ritz).
  by Tadman

Every time I see this thread in the main screen, I keep thinking of this:

Just don't get an apartment in Queens...
  by David Benton

Thank you Mr Norman , i was looking at the wrong end of CUS . Thanks for the advice on hotels , i need to pin my intenary down , some of the advanced booking rates are reasonable .

Tad , Yup that was my inspiration (???) for the title . Cant claim any royalty in my blood , though if i was bringing my little princess , she could find some in her Whanau .
  by george matthews

she could find some in her Whanau .

Translate?
  by David Benton

george matthews wrote:she could find some in her Whanau .

Translate?
Sorry , Whanau = Family in Maori , my daughter is 1/2 Maori .
  by David Benton

Well no 8 into Chicago is all over the place . 17 minutes early one day , 2 hours 20 minutes late the next . But around an hour late seems to be an average .
i am now thinking maybe i will take the CONO to New Orleans , something major would have to go wrong for no8 to be 5 hours late . Then fly across to the texas eagle route , and take that back to Chicago .
any comments on the scenic merits of the daylite sections of these routes ??
One thing i have noticed , a sleeper from carbondale south is about 1/2 the cost of a roomette from Chicago , very good value . I'm not sure if this is a quirk on the dates i looked out , or indicative of a lot of demand for roomettes , Chicago- Carbondale .
  by Jersey_Mike

I got that particular room free after signing up for the Holiday Inn rewards credit card. The door rate was listed as $750!
  by Bob Roberts

David Benton wrote: any comments on the scenic merits of the daylite sections of these routes ??
As someone who like industrial landscapes I found the sceenry on the CONO to be pretty blah. Its basically dark from departure to Memphis. Mississippi is worth seeing, but it can be monotonous. The view of New Orleans over the lake as you come into town is pretty great (left side of train). Your mileage may vary.
  by David Benton

Thanks Bob .
At this stage i'm thinking i will stick to the original plan . If I miss the capitol ltd saturday nite , i can take it sunday , but would probably have to fly Washington - Huntington , skipping Charlotte .
  by Patrick Boylan

after 5 pages who can remember the original plan?
  by David Benton

The original plan was a same day connection to the capitol ltd from the empire builder at chicago . Upon reviewing the last 3 days ontime performance ( or lack of ) , my expectations of been able to do so have dropped . So Amtrak willing i will change my reservations . ( i would hope that because the change is because of their lack of ontime performance , there will be no extra charges) . I do not want to end up on the LSL .
latest Plan ,
Dec 1 MSP -CHI
Dec 2 CHI- Wash - Capitol ltd .
Dec 3 arrive WASH D.C
Dec4 fly WASH DCA -Huntington .
Dec 5 Huntington -n.y cardinal ltd .
Dec 6th N.Y -Platsburgh - Aidrondack
Dec 7th fly Plattsburgh -Boston -Denver
Dec8th Denver Sacremento , Califionia Zephyr
Dec9th Arrive Sacremento
Dec 10th day inSacremento (railroad museum)
Dec 11th Scaremento - L.A Coast starlight
Dec 12th Fly L.A - Auckland
Dec 14th Arrive Auckland