Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#27727  by Sirsonic

According to the FRA, and now included in the TRO-4 (Airbrake and Trainhandling Rules and Instructions) a class II brake test (Apply and Release) must be performed after any unintentional emergency application. So I would say if my foot slips off the deadman, that was not an intentional emergency application, and a class II test is required. My understanding of the rule is that the only time you are relieved of performing a class II test is when the emergency application is caused by the engineer moving the abv (Automatic Brake Valve) handle to emergency, or someone pulling a dump valve.

Also, the class II test is what used to be called an apply and release test. Important to note here is that it is an apply and release. Not release and apply. So, once the engineer sets up and releases the brakes, a qualified person must note a reduction in brake pipe pressure on the hind end, and an increase in brake pipe pressure on the hind end. Just applying the brakes is not enough, and is not a proper test. Performing this test improperly, or not at all, is a decertifiable offense for an engineer.

Finally, one interesting note. When the DTN (Data Trainline Network, I think) is finally hooked up, if ever, the engineer will be able to perform a proper class II test from the cab car without anyone on the hind end, provided an ALP-46 is on the other end. The DTN are the small jumper outlets, painted white, towards the outside of the CV's and CIIM's. So far, the system has not been used, or even tested. When in serivce, it will allow the engineer to monitor the locomotive from an equiped cab car. Because it will provide a brake pipe reading from the hind end, the engineer can note the reduction and increase in brake pipe pressure on the hind end. The class II test does not actually require anyone to observe the brakes actually apply and release. They need only see that the brake pipe pressure drops and is restored.

#27778  by TR-00

Not being required to observe the application and release proves that a Class II brake test is a useless exercise, since it does nothing other than assure that air is passing through the entire train.

As has happened in the past, a car or cars between the locomotive and cab car could well have their trucks cut out (no brakes at all), and the Class II would not indicate this.

This past week, the engineer on a train leaving Long Branch, refused to move after making his first stop because he felt that there was a "problem" with the brakes. An actual inspection indicated that three of the eight cars had their trucks cut out. The crew had performed a proper Class II and a running test had been done.

To forestall the question, yes, a 10 or 15mph running test with a motor and 5 working cars will provide the proper decelerative forces to convince an engineer that the brakes are working properly, when in fact, they are not. The DTN is simply one more example of the carriers, manufacturers and the FRA to replace common sense with technology.

#29613  by nick11a

On a similar note:

The other week at Stirling on the Gladstone MidTown Direct, I observed a Comet V car. This car when it realeased the brakes, on one of the wheels, the shoe brake came off the wheel leaving a gap of about 3 inches between the shoe brake and the wheel. On all cars that I have seen (including other Comet Vs), I have never seen this. Usually, the release process is not really visually noticable in the shoe brake release process but this time, it was really noticeble. Is this OK?

#29635  by DutchRailnut

Sounds like brake adjuster ratched was not working, is it ok ?? if the shoe still applies during braking its ok. if its found overnight during 2B inspection, the car will probably be cut out.

#29665  by nick11a

It seemed to apply during application but can't be sure (it certainly appeared to be applied). I just found it unusual when released it moved so far away from the wheel. The other shoe brakes on that side of the car acted normally.