• Comet V overhaul?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Mark Schweber

A guy on the NJT forum at nj.com who is an employee of NJT posted that he found out this morning that "all the new comet v's are going back to be rebuilt from the axle up"

Does anyone here have confirmation/details on this?

by F40

This has been mentioned before on http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... c&start=30. NJT's sending 30 coaches at a time to Elmira, NY for a "premature" rehab.
  by thebigc

Mark Schweber wrote:A guy on the NJT forum at nj.com who is an employee of NJT (and who I think is a blowhard, a braggard and obnoxious because he claims powers he does not have, but that is irrelevant here) posted that he found out this morning that "all the new comet v's are going back to be rebuilt from the axle up"

Does anyone here have confirmation/details on this?
Yes. 30 at a time. If at first you don't succeed...

by Mark Schweber

F40 wrote:This has been mentioned before on http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... c&start=30. NJT's sending 30 coaches at a time to Elmira, NY for a "premature" rehab.
Thanks. Hadn't noticed that. That's what happens when discussions go off in directions other than what is the thread suject - things get lost!

by nick11a

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how they come out.

by 7 Train

That is absurd to see cars barely 2 (some not even 1) years old having to be overhauled. The minimum time I've seen from delivery to overhaul is 15 years. Fo cars not even 2, this is rotten. Alstom must have built them like cheap tin boxes.

by Irish Chieftain

Well, Alstom isn't the only one in the game to mess up. Super Steel didn't do a great job on LIRR's new fleet of DE30AC/DM30AC and they had to be sent back. On this same note, I hope that Bob is being pushy on Alstom in order to get the PL42ACs done right...and of course I stand by my assertion that the C5s ought to get the black stripe around the windows put on by Alstom for free so they stop standing out among the earlier Comets...

by nick11a

Some are even less than a year old. Some are only a few weeks old. And plus more are coming too! So, they are going to build the new ones and then send them right out to Elmira huh? Interesting. But Bob said in here back in May that we should expect a good quality locomotive when the PL42ACs arrive. He also said they were ugly, but that they would (or should) be good.

by Idiot Railfan

...and you all scoffed at me a while back (in the previous incarnation of railroad.net) when I told of the recall. You can always trust The Idiot Railfan!

by Irish Chieftain

I didn't scoff...but jeers to those who did.

by KFRG

The LIRR units were not rebuilt as previously mentioned. Juniata performed frame work on them, not a total rebuild fron "the axle and up".
These Alstom POS's really sound "The Way To Go".

by ABCD

Sorry to disappoint all you experts out there but they are NOT being totally rebuilt from the axles up, nor are they being OVERHAULED.

They are coming back up here for field modifications, things like seat backs, electrical mods, door mods, and some software issues. and only the first 60 cabs are coming up, not the whole fleet.

by thebigc

I'm just disappointed that Naporano's didn't get the contract for the overhaul.

And my General Foreman told me they're making the trip to Elmira twelve at a time, not 30.

On a bright note, I had the 6018 today and the HVAC must have been malfunctioning because the coach was actually cool, not the usual Comet V AC which is 80F and muggy.

by Jtgshu

Hey, I had that consist today too ( i think it was the 6018 - was east, and two C5 toilet trailers - 6209 and 6210 were right behind it)!!! The 6018 was really nice, but there was a C5 in there, I don't remember the number where it was blowing nice and cool, until you got by the door, under the HVAC unit, where it was blowing down air as hot as hell, but only right in front of the door oddly enough.......

by njt4172

I got a funny story.....On Wednesday of this week I took train #1020 from Denville to Montclair for college....To my surprise wee had a Comet V/IV set with Metro-North Comet V cab car. As the train pulled up to the station the doors wouldn't open so then I remarked "Pieces of Crap!" Unfortunately the conductor heard me and thought I was referring to HIM!! I had to reassure the conductor that my comment wasn't directed at him, but at the Comet V coach! I had to calm him down so I said the Comet I's are much better and he agreed and realized I was a buff!

Steve