Railroad Forums 

• CMSL service Rio Grande to Cape May

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#839087  by Jtgshu

SemperFidelis wrote:What? No one's going to say anything negative? But..but...

Congratulations to the CMSL!

Now let's all get down there and buy tickets to support this operation rather than just taking pictures. I know I will!
Negative? No.

Surprised? Yes.

Lets hope the whole schedule that is listed actually runs for the entire timeframe. Could that be considered negative? Maybe.....but hey, im a realist.

I wish the CMSL best of luck and hope that the trains are overflowing with folks!
 #839167  by dlagrua

I won't get into it, but most cannot imaging what the CMSL had to go through to get service running into Cape May this year. Notice that they are not stopping at Cold Spring Village nor going to Cape May Court House. They are also not running on Saturday. Use your imagination as to why.
Thanks to the city of Rio Grand for allowing a station location. We will be down to ride the train on Auguest 24th or 25th. and very much look forward to it. It great to see historical equipment being preserved and in use again.
A toast to Mr Macrie. Hip hip horay. Hip hip horay. Hip hip horay!
 #839201  by prr60

dlagrua wrote: ...Thanks to the city of Rio Grand for allowing a station location.
There is no municipal entity as the "City of Rio Grande." The community of Rio Grande in Cape May County is within the municipality of Middle Township, Cape May County.
 #839302  by dlagrua

prr60 wrote:
dlagrua wrote: ...Thanks to the city of Rio Grand for allowing a station location.
There is no municipal entity as the "City of Rio Grande." The community of Rio Grande in Cape May County is within the municipality of Middle Township, Cape May County.
Down that way there is a complex arrangement of towns, cities and the two townships, of Lower and Middle. Unless you live down that way full time its sometimes hard to tell what belongs in which classification. You are correct, the town of Rio Grande is part of middle township.
I must express my sincerest congratulations to Tony for being able to overcome the legalities, red tape and the political bureaucracy to get the CMSL passenger service running again.
We will be down the week of August 23rd and will be on the train on August 24th. Meanwhile , would like to encourage our friends at the Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts get involved and steer tourists to the Cape May train Station. The chamber of commerce is already at the train station and I'm sure are happy to see the railroad pulling into the station once again. Cape May tourism just got better with the railroad running again. Its a shame that weekend service couldn't be worked out but still a good start. .
 #839774  by Dcell

I'll believe the trains are running when it actually happens. Years and years of broken promises and so little to show fo the tax money spent to upgrade the grade crossings and rails.
 #839806  by nickrapak

SemperFidelis wrote:What? No one's going to say anything negative? But..but...

Congratulations to the CMSL!

Now let's all get down there and buy tickets to support this operation rather than just taking pictures. I know I will!

Okay, I'll bite and say something negative...

I am leaving on Friday for school, and won't get to ride this year. :(
 #839849  by Ken W2KB

prr60 wrote:
As is also Cape May Court House a section of Middle Township.
 #839855  by Ken W2KB

dlagrua wrote:
prr60 wrote:
Down that way there is a complex arrangement of towns, cities and the two townships, of Lower and Middle. Unless you live down that way full time its sometimes hard to tell what belongs in which classification. You are correct, the town of Rio Grande is part of middle township. .
I think the point was that Rio Grande is not a town, or any other form of legal entity. It is merely an informal reference to a geographical area. Under NJ law, municipalities can be a Town, Township, Borough or City; one and one only of these with no subdivisions. There are no Towns in Cape May County, only Boroughs, Cities and Townships. Let's hope that the passenger service is a success and if there are any remaining obstructionist municipalities that they see the light and relent in their opposition.
 #839865  by SemperFidelis

Amazing! Where there appears a CMSL topic, there always soon follows a debate.

At least this one is good natured and informative. :-D

But can we really be sure that Mr. Macrie isn't somehow involved in a secretive re-categorizing of towns to further waste taxpayer money by causing massive re-lettering of signs and police cars?

Hope to meet some of you down there over the upcoming weeks!
 #839875  by glennk419

Does anyone know if they'll be deadheading the equipment down today or tomorrow morning and what equipment will be used?
Ken W2KB wrote:I think the point was that Rio Grande is not a town, or any other form of legal entity. It is merely an informal reference to a geographical area.
Actually it does have a Zip Code / Post Office, 08242 to be exact, which adds a little formality.

Next arriving on Track 1, Train 401 to Cape May City.
 #839893  by Mike77E9

glennk419 wrote:Does anyone know if they'll be deadheading the equipment down today or tomorrow morning and what equipment will be used?
Ken W2KB wrote:I think the point was that Rio Grande is not a town, or any other form of legal entity. It is merely an informal reference to a geographical area.
Actually it does have a Zip Code / Post Office, 08242 to be exact, which adds a little formality.
The technical term for Rio Grande is a CDP, Census Designated Place, which is an unincorporated area that's already located in an incorporated municipality.
 #839901  by northjerseybuff

I intend to ride friday. Not a negative comment..just a curious thought. Why no sat/sun service? more weekenders = more potential business
 #839911  by glennk419

northjerseybuff wrote:I intend to ride friday. Not a negative comment..just a curious thought. Why no sat/sun service? more weekenders = more potential business
Probably a question best posed to the railroad itself when you ride this week. :wink:
 #839955  by AndriK48

I am new to the board but have been a long time reader. I was driving by Sally Marshall crossing and though it was kind of odd to see someone out there clearing the ROW and checking signals last night. Guess service will finally happen. Any ideas why not a stop at Cold Spring Village? Also where exactly is the stop in Rio Grande. Would it be the CMSL storage yard? Or will the use the parking lot next to the move theater? Either way glad to see service starting again!