Railroad Forums 

• CMQ Motive power

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1273791  by MEC407

Photo by Jeff J. Bray:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=483537" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1273811  by mkittredge

Many thanks to 690 for posting the link to that video. It did, however, bring tears to my eyes. My C30-7's are gone. I followed that train from Shanks to Birchton! It went by the detector at MP 75 at 3:35 with 368 axles. Had a nice conversation with fellow Vermonter Richard Deuso at Birchton. There is something magical about two rail fans from the same state meeting for the first time in another country! It had taken the train almost three hours to go the 28 miles from Shanks, but what fun it was.
 #1281856  by MEC407

Photo by Jeff Bray:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=217224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Needs to be bigger, but I like it!
 #1281894  by deathtopumpkins

Central Maine & Pacific's #2003
Central Maine & Pacific? :P
 #1282008  by Ridgefielder

deathtopumpkins wrote:
Central Maine & Pacific's #2003
Central Maine & Pacific? :P
Central Maine, Topeka & Santa Fe. :wink:
 #1299598  by CN9634

Some or all of the SD40-2s are leaving. It is unknown what power is coming, but two units have already been interchanged with Pan Am Railways. They will need new motors very soon.
 #1299604  by necr3849

It took me til now to notice the Central Maine & Pacific typo on that pic of 2003 back during the Summer. I laughed pretty good at myself for that one. Yeah, I haven't been on this board in a while!
 #1299639  by KSmitty

CN9634 wrote:Some or all of the SD40-2s are leaving. It is unknown what power is coming, but two units have already been interchanged with Pan Am Railways. They will need new motors very soon.
Fingers crossed! Blue and yellow 70M-2's. The FEC GE's should begin delivery shortly. Theyve been under construction over a month now...
 #1299765  by RJDC85

KSmitty,
My thoughts exactly on the 70M-2's... it makes "logical" sense that they will start to get shipped north once the ES44P's start arriving on the FEC property. I've asked around but haven't gotten any solid confirmation. Need to have an eye down in Fl for us!
 #1299792  by MEC407

FEC had good reason to get rid of them. Hope they can survive the harsh winters up here...
 #1299805  by KSmitty

I understand why FEC is dumping them, I also understand why they'd be good pullers up here. FEC is a scheduled railroad with a good intermodal business. If one of them fails it can screw up the entire railroad in a hurry. CMQ is an as needed operator serving forestry and agricultural customers. If one of these locks up on the main it isn't going to cascade across the whole of the railroad. Its just gonna really screw up one crew's night. Meanwhile they'd offer that extra oomph, which will be necessary when oil trains almost undoubtedly come back.

Besides, SD70M-2's are used all over the continent. I'm not saying they are great motors, but there are enough in service that there has to be a fix for a lot of the issues they have if CN and NS keep hundreds in service. And I'd imagine the cold will be fine, CN's SD70M-2's are common in the Maritimes.
 #1299807  by MEC407

The fix it to put GE traction motors in 'em. :P
 #1299848  by CN9634

KSmitty wrote:I understand why FEC is dumping them, I also understand why they'd be good pullers up here. FEC is a scheduled railroad with a good intermodal business. If one of them fails it can screw up the entire railroad in a hurry. CMQ is an as needed operator serving forestry and agricultural customers. If one of these locks up on the main it isn't going to cascade across the whole of the railroad. Its just gonna really screw up one crew's night. Meanwhile they'd offer that extra oomph, which will be necessary when oil trains almost undoubtedly come back.

Besides, SD70M-2's are used all over the continent. I'm not saying they are great motors, but there are enough in service that there has to be a fix for a lot of the issues they have if CN and NS keep hundreds in service. And I'd imagine the cold will be fine, CN's SD70M-2's are common in the Maritimes.
From what I'm told the SD70ACe's built before Caterpillar are no where as nice as the ones built after Caterpillar took over. Apparently they made a lot of interior changes, hence the new set of demo units.

EDIT: I just realized this has nothing to do with this topic.
 #1300073  by somewhere

5 of the SD40-2 are gone 4 to CSX and one the Chicago not sure to whom. Keeping 5 SD40-2 for now.