• classic railroad songs

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by uhaul

There was an N Sync song that a train in it for about thirty seconds.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JoJqID-wJY
Thanks for those clips AFR.

by MEC407

I love the Muppets clip! Brings back great memories of being a little kid in the late '70s and early '80s. That sort of thing would be considered too mature for today's children. :wink:

by jscola30

Could one put Trains and Boats and Planes in this catagory?

Also, the standard I thought about you "I took a trip on a train...and I thought about you" another standard: Sentimental Journey

A disco/funk song: Express by B.T. Express and also We're on the Right Track by Ultra High Frequency
  by steamal

I know Jimmie Rodgers ---"The Singing Brakeman"--- has been mentioned on here, but no one has mentioned any of his songs. Well, here's a couple:

1.) Waiting For a Train
2.) The Mystery of Number 5

(By the way, that's not the same Jimmie Rodgers who was popular in the '50s. "The Singing Brakeman" died in 1933.)
  by PClark

A piece of trivia.

A few weeks ago I was watching the 1956 movie "Bhowani Junction" and was almost certain that the background music coming from the band in a scene set in a bar or club in India in 1947 was "On the Atchison Topeka and the Santa Fe" from the 1946 "The Harvey Girls" starring Judy Garland.

Considering both were MGM movies I was probably correct.
  by PClark

I'm surprised that nobody on this thread has mentioned "On the Twentieth Century" from the late '70s Broadway hit (and 5 Tony winner) of the same name.

"We point with the greatest pride
To the grandest ride
On the New York Central Rail-Road"
  by steamal

And while I'm at it, let's not forget "The Wabash Cannonball". The most famous version of this one is by Roy Acuff, but others ---including Jerry Reed--- have recorded it too.