Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by vin5581

Anyone know when the Circus train will be on the Island en-rout to The Barclays??
  by Morisot

Don't know about the train movements in the area, but the Ringling Bros. "red train" tour dates are:

Philadelphia, PA February 16, 2015
Brooklyn, NY February 19, 2015 - March 01, 2015
Uniondale, NY March 04, 2015 - March 08, 2015
Newark, NJ March 12, 2015 - March 15, 2015
  by LINYARailfan

Saw the LIRR crew with a jet snowblower car clearing the tracks along the Garden City Secondary line as we speak. As for the train movements in the area, if everything goes according to plan and schedule the circus train is scheduled to arrive at Harold tomorrow 2/17 in the late morning. At the time the LIRR receives the train, the train will be split. Animal cars and flat cars will stay at Hunterspoint Avenue station from 2/17-3/2 while the circus performs at the Barclays Center, and the remainder of the train which cosists of the living quarter coaches go directly to the Garden City Secondary. The first half of the circus train should arrive in Garden City tomorrow in the early afternoon thats if everything goes according to schedule. Hope this helps
  by srock68

I'm guessing it will arrive via Fresh Pond or Jersey, right?
  by Backshophoss

Amtrak will hand off the train at Harold to LIRR,the passenger cars will move eastward to the Garden-Mitchell Secondary,
The flatcars with wagons,vehicles and rigging equipment,will be switched to LIC yard near Hunterspoint Ave station.
After the Barclay's Center run,the flatcars will join the rest of the train on the Garden Secondary.
After the Uniondale run,entire train is handed back to Amtrak at Harold,to move onward to the next performance location
  by LINYARailfan

Anybody know if it will be a day move or night move?? I hear different stories from different people. * says the move is happening Tuesday late morning- early afternoon on the Garden Mitchell Secondary. Then I just spoke with * and he told me the move is going to be an overnight move between 11PM-2AM on the Garden Mitchell Secondary. Can somebody update on which information is correct? Thanks
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Edited for potentially identifying information
  by LRail

Looking at Google Maps, it looks like they are clearing the area adjacent to the end of the Garden City Secondary. Any particular reason?
  by gregorygrice

LINYARailfan wrote:Saw the LIRR crew with a jet snowblower car clearing the tracks along the Garden City Secondary line as we speak. As for the train movements in the area, if everything goes according to plan and schedule the circus train is scheduled to arrive at Harold tomorrow 2/17 in the late morning. At the time the LIRR receives the train, the train will be split. Animal cars and flat cars will stay at Hunterspoint Avenue station from 2/17-3/2 while the circus performs at the Barclays Center, and the remainder of the train which cosists of the living quarter coaches go directly to the Garden City Secondary. The first half of the circus train should arrive in Garden City tomorrow in the early afternoon thats if everything goes according to schedule. Hope this helps
The move from Philly to Jersey is occurring today so wouldn't the LANE to HAROLD move would have to be midday Wednesday?
  by gregorygrice

As of right now they are still loading the train.
  by LINYARailfan

gregorygrice wrote:As of right now they are still loading the train.
If your telling me the move from LANE to HAROLD is going to be midday Wednesday, when would the move from HAROLD to the Garden Mitchell Secondary be? Im confused because * the move from HAROLD to Garden City is happening tonight as I said in my last post??
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Edited for information that may lead to indentification of anonymous members.
  by srock68

There are a bunch of work trains headed for Garden City tonight.
  by LINYARailfan

srock68 wrote:There are a bunch of work trains headed for Garden City tonight.
What time are they scheduled to come to Garden City? I am trying to get my pictures of the 1500s. So I guess the circus train isn't coming to GCS till tomorrow afternoon??
  by Sigz

LINYARailfan wrote:I just spoke with... ...and he told me the move is going to be an overnight move between 11PM-2AM on the Garden Mitchell Secondary.
I'm sure that when he hooked you up with that info, he didn't expect the information to be posted on a public forum with his unique position tied to it. The persons job title and district was posted, it's not hard to look at the time stamp on your post and figure out who was working the desk at that time.

I love working for the LIRR and I love talking about my craft, but posts like the one quoted above makes employees not want to share anything at all.

Next year you might call about the circus train and get "I can't divulge information about specific train movements Sir."

If you're gonna post the info, just post the info, don't tie people to it. I know your intentions are innocent enough, you just want to snap some photos, but giving out your source has potential to jam somebody up. LIRR employees including upper management browse this forum too. It wouldn't be the first time an employee got burnt doing something nice for a rail fan.

Respectfully,
Sigz.

I don't mean to come across as a dick but I felt it had to be said.
  by Jeff Smith

It's our policy not to provide information which can potentially identify members and non-members who wish to remain anonymous. Please be careful in the future.
  by lirr42

Two ACS-64's set out from NYK twoards New Jersey around 11:45p Monday night to collect the circus train.