Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MNR's #1 Conductor

LIengineerBob wrote:Believe me........the circus train is NOT going to VD yard in Brooklyn......to speculate such a thing is totally absurd and makes me think a lot of you don't have any idea of the physical characteristics of the LIRR in that area. There are so many close clearances there the MU cars barely fit.....no way heavyweight passenger cars with 6 wheel trucks and 86 foot flat cars are going to make it.

Do any of you have any idea what a process it is just to get a 6 cat MU train in there??

Forget about a 40 car circus train......the yard wouldn't even hold all the cars!!!
Try going over the Subchat message board and explain that to some of the railfan dreamers there!! I been telling them that every time this topic comes up, but they still keep saying VD is where it is going to go!!!

Well said, bro!!
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

lirr42 wrote:They couldn't use VD yard anyways... It's used by the LIRR for the storage of trains during the week.
And I definitely cannot see the LIRR doling out tons of $$$$$ in overtime to crews to deadhead all the equipment in and out of Brooklyn all the way to either Jamaica or Hillside and back for the duration of the circus being in town.
  by LIengineerBob

Please, for everyone's sake, stop speculating about using VD yard for the circus train. It has gone on for two pages now.......................

It has been explained several times now all the various reasons why it CAN NOT be done and the impracticality of it. In case you missed it, here you go again: The yard is TOO SMALL with many close clearances that CAN NOT be negotiated by standard passenger cars, let alone freight cars. Additionally, a person can hardly fit/walk between the cars in that yard.......FORGET trying to unload equipment and elephants...there is NO sufficient space to do it.

You need to make a DOUBLE reverse move to GET INTO THE YARD and would be stuck doing this a few cars at a time due to the size/car capacity of the switching leads to get INTO the yard.

The necessary locomotives to move the train DO NOT FIT into Brooklyn, period.

Most of the circus train cars DO NOT fit into the area.

And, most importantly, THERE IS NO WAY to practically get the needed materials/vehicles/animals out of the yard IF they could be unloaded....it is 25 feet below street level with a small steep driveway to access the yard......or a small staircase.

Investigate the area more fully if you don't trust me or believe me.......................

There are probably a dozen more reasons I could think of if I wanted to waste the time thinking about it.

How do I know this........I worked the drill job in VD yard for nearly 7 years straight everyday before I retired last year, in the "old" yard, and BOTH temporary "new" yards......................

I DO NOT frequent the Sub Chat board any longer , that board if so full of the biggest railfan dreamers on the planet it gets mind boggling there sometimes trying to explain something. Feel free to copy/paste my reply here over there if you desire.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

LIengineerBob wrote:Please, for everyone's sake, stop speculating about using VD yard for the circus train. It has gone on for two pages now.......................

It has been explained several times now all the various reasons why it CAN NOT be done and the impracticality of it. In case you missed it, here you go again: The yard is TOO SMALL with many close clearances that CAN NOT be negotiated by standard passenger cars, let alone freight cars. Additionally, a person can hardly fit/walk between the cars in that yard.......FORGET trying to unload equipment and elephants...there is NO sufficient space to do it.

You need to make a DOUBLE reverse move to GET INTO THE YARD and would be stuck doing this a few cars at a time due to the size/car capacity of the switching leads to get INTO the yard.

The necessary locomotives to move the train DO NOT FIT into Brooklyn, period.

Most of the circus train cars DO NOT fit into the area.

And, most importantly, THERE IS NO WAY to practically get the needed materials/vehicles/animals out of the yard IF they could be unloaded....it is 25 feet below street level with a small steep driveway to access the yard......or a small staircase.

Investigate the area more fully if you don't trust me or believe me.......................

There are probably a dozen more reasons I could think of if I wanted to waste the time thinking about it.

How do I know this........I worked the drill job in VD yard for nearly 7 years straight everyday before I retired last year, in the "old" yard, and BOTH temporary "new" yards......................

I DO NOT frequent the Sub Chat board any longer , that board if so full of the biggest railfan dreamers on the planet it gets mind boggling there sometimes trying to explain something. Feel free to copy/paste my reply here over there if you desire.
Again, I have stated exactly what you said time and time again, but it falls on deaf ears, as either the "think-they-know-it-alls" and railfan dreamers keep time and time again saying that is where it will head. And yes, Subchat is WAY TOO FULL of railfan dreamers and redundant chatter!! I post on a "touch-and-go" basis" there.

And yes, I know the VD Yard well, have been in the area, and do know what you say is totally accurate. Let the railfan dreamers have their dreams!!
  by lirr42

Pardon my stepping in here, but there has been no railfan ranting about the use of VD yard. The one poster who asked about the use of VD yard asked a valid question out of general curiosity. The question was asked and answered, and all follow-ups were posted in a respectable, non-belligerent way.

The only real ranting that's been going on here is the "railfan know-it-all" nonsense. We get it. No railfan claimed that they know everything. Let's give it a rest.
  by nyandw

06-99 Garden City Steve Lynch photo
Garden City Photo: Steve Torborg

This location where hacks were stored in the past: Quentin Roosevelt Blvd and Commercial Ave. What is the current brick building use and related to NYA operations?, is the yard lot still LIRR/NYA and in use, events, etc. (or just circus storage)? Thanks, Folks.
  by Norton

As you may be able to see, the building is an Ethan Allen showroom. I don't think the track where the hacks are pictured is there anymore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by NYCrails

Right now I'm covering a job in VD yard at this very moment and the idea of trying to squeeze circus rail cars in here is comical. There is only 3 trains layed up here on 5 tracks.
  by nyandw

Norton wrote:As you may be able to see, the building is an Ethan Allen showroom. I don't think the track where the hacks are pictured is there anymore.
You would be correct as the buildings were not there back in 1999 or so. I have also been emailed that the Circus train uses the Garden City tracks just as they are (west to east) as far as they can utilize them.
  by R36 Combine Coach

What time would the moves be in LIC on Tues?

As for the aerial, based on evidence (such as no M-7s at Arch Street- warrently completed and area construction), I can date it to 2010.
  by SwingMan

I don't see the color lights up either that are still bagged up..