Railroad Forums 

• Cincinnati Streetcar

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#745042  by superbad

http://www.cincystreetcar.com/

just trying to get this one going. I heard that there was a vote in cinci to attempt to ban funding towards any rail projects in this city and it was defeated thankfully.
Last edited by mtuandrew on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Moderator Note: Edited title, 4/12/12
 #745383  by lpetrich

It actually mandated that any urban-rail system would require a referendum.

That strikes me as a needless imposition, and I think that it was proposed as a form of obstructionism. Why nothing of the sort for other transportation infrastructure?
 #746731  by Disney Guy

Will the streetcars use two overhead wires like the streetcars 50 years ago did?
 #746750  by electricron

Most likely there will be overhead trolley lines.

But there are technology available to replace the overhead trolley lines....
(1) Diesel electric trolley as seen in Savannah, Georgia.

(2) Cable car from San Francisco (?)

(3) Contactless trolley using buried cable in Brussels, Belgium
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post.cgi?id=1615
This is a proven technology, but it is more expensive than hanging wires.
 #747408  by gt7348b

Ummm, about that Brussels Picture - Brussels uses catenary - you can see the panto between the third and fourth column of the red brick building. used to use the 23 occasionally. However, Reims and Bordeaux do use the contactless system!

http://www.trams-in-france.net/reload.htm?bordeaux.htm
 #753183  by goodnightjohnwayne

lpetrich wrote:It actually mandated that any urban-rail system would require a referendum.

That strikes me as a needless imposition, and I think that it was proposed as a form of obstructionism. Why nothing of the sort for other transportation infrastructure?
There's a lot of broad based opposition to the the streetcar proposal. It might seem a little odd, but there are actually civil rights leaders who are opposed to the streetcar project. Why? Apparently, the feeling is that the potential route will do little for working class commuters and the cost is hard to justify when public services are being cut.

Cincinnati most definitely isn't the same sort "light rail" pseudo-utopia as Portland, Oregon. There's a lot of poverty in Cincinnati and a lot of social tensions - the 2001 riots come to mind.
 #1019374  by lpetrich

I hope it's OK to bump this thread, because there's finally big news on this project.

City of Cincinnati - Streetcars
What they've decided on: a line that runs roughly north-south in downtown Cincy.
Henry + Race/Elm -- 12th / Central Pkwy -- 2nd + Main/Walnut.
Route length: 1.7 mi / 2.7 km

Cincinnati's streetcar project breaks ground | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com
It costs about $100 million, and it will be built in about 2 years.
 #1036254  by lpetrich

City of Cincinnati - Streetcar is the project's home page. On Feb 24, it got a Cincinnati Streetcar Construction Update. Now at Elm St., and it will move northward block-by-block in that street.

City of Cincinnati - CAF USA Selected As Preferred Vendor For Streetcar Vehicles - the page includes what looks like a 3D-model rendering. It will be a modern streetcar, an articulated one with three segments and a wheel assembly at each end segment.

Streetcar first step in Mayor Mallory’s regional rail transit vision — UrbanCincy
One of the most important aspects of the modern streetcar vehicles is their “low floor” feature along the entire length of the streetcar. The low floor is the section of the streetcar that is most level with the curb of the streetcar station, and thus provides significant benefits for handicap accessibility, bicyclists, and people with strollers. Whereas other streetcars have only a small section that is low floor, the CAF streetcars are 100 percent low floor, meaning even greater access for people with wheeled transportation.
Not just rail vehicles are often low-floor these days, but also buses.
Mayor Mallory highlights successes, commits to transit in seventh State of the City address — UrbanCincy
“Before we are even finished with the first phase, we have started work on the second phase,” Mallory revealed. “I have already asked for federal funds to study which route will be used to connect to our assets in the uptown area like UC, the hospitals, the zoo, and the EPA.”
Where those destinations are: Re-Envision Cincinnati « CincyStreetcar Blog - it shows some late-2009 rail plans.

What's now being built is from Transit Center to Findlay Market, the southern half of what was earlier proposed. The northern half extends from Findlay Market to the University of Cincinnati, the medical center, and the zoo.

The map also shows streetcar extensions from UC to Walnut Hills, Washington Park on the southern half to Cincinnati Union Terminal, and the Transit Center across the Ohio River to Newport and Covington. It also shows light rail from I-74 and I-75 to Washington Park, and from I-71 to the airport. On the north bank of the Ohio River is an east-west commuter-rail line. It even shows proposed high-speed rail to Chicago, Cleveland, and Louisville.
 #1050388  by mtuandrew

Moderator's Note: Split the discussion of Cincinnati's gauge choice into the new thread Streetcar track gauge - broad, standard, or narrow?
Last edited by mtuandrew on Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Fixed link
 #1155019  by Myrtone

One thing I am now wondering, is why not first build a heritage trolley line in Cincy and then use that as the basis for the new system?
electricron wrote:Most likely there will be overhead trolley lines.

[images excluded from the quote]

This is a proven technology, but it is more expensive than hanging wires.
Apparently, the previous Cincinatti system used trolleybus style double overhead, and is reintroducing that any more realistic than reintroducing the Pennsylvania trolley gauge? Twin trolleypole overhead would allow the same power supply to be shared with road vehicles, such as trolleybuses, should they ever return to Cincy.
 #1155121  by Patrick Boylan

I don't believe reintroducing trolleybus style double overhead is any more realistic than reintroducing the Pennsylvania trolley gauge. Although twin trolleypole overhead would allow the same power supply to be shared with road vehicles, such as trolleybuses, should they ever return to Cincy, I don't think it's worth it to put up twin wires now and hope that in the future trolleybuses will return and share a significant enough portion of the streetcar's route.
It would be far simpler to use standard single overhead wire and use the tracks for the electric current's return, and put up an extra wire wherever the future trolleybus shares the route.
 #1156083  by mtuandrew

Myrtone: why are you interested in doubling the wire maintenance costs for Cincinnati? I'm a preservationist too, but two-wire systems are rare now. That is for good reason, since hybrid battery-diesel buses have shown themselves to be entirely practical all over the world. If you want to save a little fuel, set up periodic battery charging stations so the diesel only gets a small amount of use.

Amtrakowitz: if you feel the forum needs another moderator, please contact Jeff Smith. Otherwise, use the report function if you think a topic is off track, and let the moderators handle it.