• Check out my HO Layout "The Hackerville & Wing it"

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Tracer

3rdrail wrote:I like the accessability of your layout. I keep a step stool to get to the far reaches of mine, so I know how nice it is to have everything within reach. As far as your electrical bridge is concerned, the real McCoy's use some sort of a "tongue" arrangement which usually drops in place and makes a physical connection when preparing for operation. You might experiment with that. I've seen it done successfully on layouts and it is a common practice with overhead as well. Keep up the great work and keep us posted !
Are far as accessability goes its a little tough reaching the back of the layout(its 3' wide). But it does leave more room to build the layout. When i first built the benchwork i built a 1-6"x7' peninsula in the middle of the room. It sucked walking between tight isles so i tore it out. Thanks for the encouragement!
Otto Vondrak wrote:
Triker wrote:Couple of rants I have:
I am all done with "kit" buildings. I built a few on this layout and it always take me like 3 hours to put one together...
Depending on the complexity of the kit, it could take you three days... three weeks who knows. It takes time to carefully cut out all the parts, make clean fittings, wait for things to dry, paint carefully, etc. Of course, if you don't enjoy putting buildings together, then finding buildings already built is one way to go...
Its tough for me to find time otto to put a model together the "right way"(i have 2 little kids, so finding time is tough). I spent 3 hours on my last model and truthfully it could have probably used 3 more. I don't mind putting buildings together, but the used buildings i've found online are for the most part cheaper and look better than anything i could build at this point.
westr wrote:There are electrical plugs available you can use to get power to your liftout. They are called cinch plugs, and are available with different numbers of pins. Check electrical supply stores. Some hardware stores might have them and maybe Radio Shack as well. You can have them simply dangling under the liftout and have to plug them in separately after you put in the liftout, or you can get surface-mount ones and mount them so they will be aligned when the liftout is put in place. I would recommend wiring the liftout so when it is removed there is unpowered track for a couple of feet or so on either side as a failsafe.
I do like the "cinch plug" idea. It seems simple and it only takes a few seconds to hook up the power each time. Its funny you mentioned a "failsafe" on either side of the bridge. I built the liftout about 2 weeks ago and twice i've almost sent 2 trains over the edge because i forgot to put the liftout back. :P

I will try and throw a few more pics on tomorrow.
  by Tracer

Few shots from left to right:
850.JPG
850 1.JPG
850 2.JPG

I've pretty much finished the ballast and "grass" at this point.

I may add a building or two and i need to work on detailing. (i need to figure out how to make trees!)

Because i built the layout 3' wide i have huge voids in the corners of the layout. I have no idea what to build in them(note the top left of the first photo).
  by delvyrails

Corners are good for industrial spurs, even two from different directions which cross each other. Also, is there enough space for a wye there?
  by 3rdrail

Don't worry about filling in every square inch of your layout upon it's debut. Keep "things to do" on it and it keeps it alive. I have an area of about 12 sq ft that I haven't decided upon yet, and my son and I finished our layout in 2002. It makes going to the shows more fun as there might be that unexpected thing that you see that is just perfect for that spot. Know in your head what sizes you have open so that you won't pass up an opportunity not knowing if it will fit and later regretting it. (Been there, done that ! :( ) (It's funny but I was looking at your pics before I looked at your sign-on and said to myself, "reminds me of Deer Island of many years ago". I got a laugh when I saw your stated location.)
  by Tracer

I think i'm going to take your advice 3rdrail and leave the rest of the layout open for now. I really don't like layouts cluttered with tons of buildings anyway. I actually don't live on deer island, but i've heard the aroma is breathtaking.
Last edited by Tracer on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by 3rdrail

Trust me, you'll just "happen" on stuff to put there. I've heard - no aroma now.
  by Otto Vondrak

Triker wrote:I think i'm going to take your advice 3rdrail and leave the rest of the layout open for now. I really don't like layouts cluttered with tons of buildings anyway.
You don't need to clutter up your layout and fill every acre. But continue to experiment with rising and falling landforms, trees, and other "view blocks" to make your layout appear larger than it actually is.

-otto-