• Charlie Trash

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by helium

Has anyone noticed a lot more trash in the stations that are using Charlie tickets?
I'm thinking that the paper tickets will be dropped on the ground once the fare is used up.

Why wouldn't the T bought machines that jsut keep an expired ticket, similar to London?

I've noticed that NYC has tons of discarded tickets in the stations due to the same problem.
How about even a bin right near the gates specifically for used cards?

by The Collector at Court St

Keep in mind that the Charlie Ticket is a temporary thing. Within a year or so, most people will switch to Charlie Cards and that will leave tickets for the occasional user. That will help with the litter problem as the occasional user is less likely to toss stuff on the floor.

by sabourinj

My own personal feeling on this one is that if they gate "ate" your ticket when it was empty, the T wouldn't empty the bins that hold the expired tickets and somehow the gate would get jammed up and you wouldn't be able to get on at all. Just seems like something that would happen with the T.

At least when the CharlieCard will encourage people more to reload than the more temporary feeling paper tickets.

by helium

True, a lot of people would use the card vs. the ticket, but think about the amount of tourists in this city. That's a lot of trash left on the floor, chucked in the track pit, etc.
One station in Manhattan was literally covered in yellow cards.

by sabourinj

helium wrote:True, a lot of people would use the card vs. the ticket, but think about the amount of tourists in this city. That's a lot of trash left on the floor, chucked in the track pit, etc.
One station in Manhattan was literally covered in yellow cards.
Last time I was in NYC (actually a few weeks ago) I felt like there were less discarded cards sitting around. They even have special bins to put used cards in but they are either ignored, or stuffed so full you can't put another card in them.

One thing the T did different then NY they don't have a quick "Single Ride" button. They're really encouraging people to more than just $1.25 on them with the "Quick $5" option on the first screen.

JS

by helium

yeah, clearly a way for them to make a quick $3.75 from the people who won't go on another ride.
do the T tickets expire like the metro card does?

by sabourinj

helium wrote:yeah, clearly a way for them to make a quick $3.75 from the people who won't go on another ride.
do the T tickets expire like the metro card does?
Hey if people buy it that's their fault. Its like a gift card if you want to look at it that way.

Yes it does expire, although I haven't heard word about being able to get the balance loaded on another card for up to a year after the expiration date like NYC. They also seem to expire differently depending how much $$ is loaded ($1.25 was I think 1 1/2 years, more than that was 5 years)

JS

by helium

I haven't seen the machines up close, but yes, it is their fault for buying a 4 ride when they don't need it. However, is there even a 1 ride option? And if there is, and the T chose to make the 4 ride option much more prevalent, then it's a case of the T taking advantage, especially for tourists.

by sabourinj

helium wrote:I haven't seen the machines up close, but yes, it is their fault for buying a 4 ride when they don't need it. However, is there even a 1 ride option? And if there is, and the T chose to make the 4 ride option much more prevalent, then it's a case of the T taking advantage, especially for tourists.
Yes of course there is a one ride option, it's on the ticket screen with all the other preset amounts you can select (or type in your own amount). They put a quick button on the first screen I'd guess to reinforce that they aren't a "one use" thing like tokens. If they put the 1 ride option as the quick button it would encourage people to buy a CharlieTicket each time and throw it on the floor, the reason for thos whole thread.

JS

by octr202

sabourinj wrote:
helium wrote:I haven't seen the machines up close, but yes, it is their fault for buying a 4 ride when they don't need it. However, is there even a 1 ride option? And if there is, and the T chose to make the 4 ride option much more prevalent, then it's a case of the T taking advantage, especially for tourists.
Yes of course there is a one ride option, it's on the ticket screen with all the other preset amounts you can select (or type in your own amount). They put a quick button on the first screen I'd guess to reinforce that they aren't a "one use" thing like tokens. If they put the 1 ride option as the quick button it would encourage people to buy a CharlieTicket each time and throw it on the floor, the reason for thos whole thread.

JS
And, when people buy one ticket at a time and throw it out, it raises the cost of buying all that ticket stock too, as opposed to getting multiple uses out of a ticket.

by cden4

It needs to be made clear to people that CharlieTickets are rechargeable. Even if you don't put a lot of money on it when you buy it, you can put more on later instead of just throwing it away. Ideallly, everyone should only have to buy one CharlieTicket and just keep it in their wallet, recharging it as needed at the machines.

by caduceus

Hmm...with fares going up, is the stored value in the tickets/cards counted in "fares" or dollars? Would buying X fares before the fare increase save money?

If it's in dollars, will they adjust the kiosks to allow adding the fare difference to the existing value?

How are "premium" stations, like on the Riverside line, going to be handled, since the premium is not simply a multiple of the standard fare?

by danib62

caduceus wrote:Hmm...with fares going up, is the stored value in the tickets/cards counted in "fares" or dollars? Would buying X fares before the fare increase save money?

If it's in dollars, will they adjust the kiosks to allow adding the fare difference to the existing value?

How are "premium" stations, like on the Riverside line, going to be handled, since the premium is not simply a multiple of the standard fare?
It's in dollars not fares. It couldn't be in fares even without "premium" stations because the bus costs one thing and and the subway another.

The kiosks already allow you to add additional cash to a card.

by sabourinj

cden4 wrote:It needs to be made clear to people that CharlieTickets are rechargeable. Even if you don't put a lot of money on it when you buy it, you can put more on later instead of just throwing it away. Ideallly, everyone should only have to buy one CharlieTicket and just keep it in their wallet, recharging it as needed at the machines.
I'm really hoping when the T is finally read for hte CharlieCard that they will have a more impressive marketing campaign then they did for the system so far.

Also, while you can "recharge" a CharlieTicket, all it really does is eat the old one and print you a new one. So you can keep your value, but it doesn't really help the environment any.

JS