• Charlie Card Machines At SS

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by helium

Are those CT machines at the SS turnstiles?
Any idea when they will be working?
It's annoying to wait in line to get a monthly pass, especially when the geniuses at MBCR staff 2 out of 4 windows.
  by Pete

helium wrote:Are those CT machines at the SS turnstiles?
It's annoying to wait in line to get a monthly pass, especially when the geniuses at MBCR staff 2 out of 4 windows.
When I was last there, about two weeks ago, there were a whole bunch of them sitting against the wall in cardboard boxes. They didn't look very close to being in service.

Fenced-off work areas have appeared at both ticketing areas at Kendall. I wonder if this signals Charlie's arrival there.
  by octr202

Pete wrote:
When I was last there, about two weeks ago, there were a whole bunch of them sitting against the wall in cardboard boxes. They didn't look very close to being in service.

Fenced-off work areas have appeared at both ticketing areas at Kendall. I wonder if this signals Charlie's arrival there.
I'm starting to think that. A couple weeks ago there were people in hard hats and vests measuring the turnstile and iron maiden areas at Kendall and Central. Probably the "advance team."

by GP40MC 1116

I was in SS about 2 Saturdays ago, the weekend of the Big E show to be exact, (Jan 28-29th) and those cardboard boxes were till their with "FRAGILE" marked clearly on them w a Sharpie. I was wondering what they were because I usually buy a single T Token for my next trip into the city so im ahead of the game. but! no machines

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i was at South Station 2 saturday's ago, Jan 28 and i saw no cardboard boxes that every1 is talking about, there was 2 machines out of service, but thats all that i saw
  by Pete

octr202 wrote:
Pete wrote:

I'm starting to think that. A couple weeks ago there were people in hard hats and vests measuring the turnstile and iron maiden areas at Kendall and Central. Probably the "advance team."
Lots of electrical work going on at Kendall the past week, in the area you mention.

by GP40MC 1116

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:i was at South Station 2 saturday's ago, Jan 28 and i saw no cardboard boxes that every1 is talking about, there was 2 machines out of service, but thats all that i saw

Matt, Unless i was seeing something esle, on the side where the regular token machines are, they were gone, and their were 2-3 or more large cardboard boxes of something inside of them.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

hmmm. i guess i just missed it, i was in a rush to catch the subway, ill have to look next time

by fm535

They are not just doing the Charlie machines, but adding fire alarms and electrical upgrades at the same time.

by ryanov

I was there the Red Line entrance and saw what looked like several TVM sized boxes sitting along the wall just this weekend.
  by sabourinj

I noticed this weekend that the new fare gates are installed on the entrance at south station that has been closed all these years. Looks like they really might launch in March @ SS like they've been saying after all!

I'm sure it will be chaotic at first, but it's so much better for tourists and infrequent riders that can't afford a pass.
  by chex

octr202 wrote:
Yes, the Red Line Charlie card installs are starting to happen. Braintree and Savin Hill are already done, and they are working northward.

Please see my related post on ne.trans, here:

http://groups.google.com/group/ne.trans ... eb23c6baa4

-- Chex

by fm535

The system sucks, as far as I am concerned right now... :-D I have to use a Charlie Card at Braintree. I occassionally get a ride home from work that makes the hefty price of weekly or monthly combo passes not worth the investment, and I use JFK on the other end. So I currently have to use a stored value card for Braintree and still use tokens at JFK. At least they have broken ground at JFK to upgrade there, too! I will tell you in a month or so what I think! :wink:

by sabourinj

Reply to fm535's comments:

I don't think so much that it's the system that sucks, just that it's an akward year while they convert everything. It'll be nice to pay with a credit card, store a few rides on one card w/o having to buy a pass, and eventually get on even faster with the CharlieCard (that you can just wave at the black target) once those are released.

Also, you can buy monthly or weekly passes at the vending machines at each station that has been converted... this will be MUCH simpler than going to one of the "hub" stations.

Lastly, if you travel locally on the red line you won't need to get a "South Shore Warrant" in order to avoid the exit fare. The system will detect that your card was used within the zone and let you out free.

Lemme know if that makes you feel any better...

Justin

by fm535

If you noticed I added plenty of smiles in my comments. I know these are just growing pains as the process spreads system wide. I am just 'bitchin' about the inconvenience as it stands right now! I will eventually build a bridge and "get over it"! :P