• Changes coming to Ayer MA?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by NellsChoo

Two things have me worried about railfanning at Ayer MA.

One, is that it will be sad to see the old B&M shack torn down if the rumor that Guilford will be doing so this coming spring.

The other is that a 300 car parking garage may be built at Ayer's MBTA station. I have already read in the Boston Globe that public vote was against the garage. But this past weekend I read there is now federal funding and that the garage will be going in, along with station upgrades.

1) why do they need such a large capacity garage???
2) where will they put it? Does this mean the B&M tower will get torn down as well???
3) will railfan views get blocked??
4) will security go up?

There does not appear to be any need for so many parking spaces at Ayer station. Ridership does not look high enough to warrant it. Maybe I am just plain against certain types of change, but this seems like a waste of money. Thay should spend far less to just keep the current property looking nicer and safer.

Opinions?

by CSX Conductor

Not sure as to the proposed location, but if they do build a garage in a spot that blocks your view, once it is complete, you most likely will be able to gain access to the highest level for a bird's eye view. Hey, who knows, maybe it will give you a better view. :wink:

by SnoozerZ49

Well, Nells, I too hope the old tower would not be in the way. I don't think it would be. As far as the need for parking, I think that the hope is to relieve some congestion nort of Ayer in the Groton/Pepperell corridor to Littleton. I think it's Rte 119 isn't it? It may be a boost to downtown if more folks drive to Ayer. I had also heard that the station would be moved out of town on land formerly part of the Fort. I hope they don't do that as a large number of people that use the train locally don't have vehicles to get them out of town to the station.

You can see this problem at Mishawum Station where ther are still a die hard group of passengers that use the train for a reverse commutes but don't have access to cars.

By the way, Nells are you still part of the Sunday morning club at Ayer?
I try to pick you out as I roll by on No.2404 but haven't seen you :-)

by ceo

If they're taking steps to increase ridership on the Fitchburg line, more power to'em. I honestly think that, as far as priorities for transit planning are concerned, maintaining views for railfans is and ought be pretty far down there.

I've always thought it would be an obvious improvement to exurban commuting to build a large station and parking garage at the I-495/Rte. 2 interchange, with dedicated off- and on-ramps from one or both highways. Likewise on the Worcester line at the I-495/I-90 interchange. Probably have to double-track the Fitchburg between South Acton and Willows, but that's scarcely a bad thing.

by NellsChoo

ceo wrote:I honestly think that, as far as priorities for transit planning are concerned, maintaining views for railfans is and ought be pretty far down there.
Well, we KNOW no one cares about us. :( That is a given. But when it comes to tearing down historic structures to make a buck with an ugly garage, I get a bit miffed. What can I say?

Jonelle
  by frrc

Ridership is up considerably on the Fitchburg line, with a new parking garage being built in Fitchburg. Leominster just added a new parking lot, which fills up most weekdays. Shirley has little parking after 7:30am. There is talk, and it's just "talk" of adding more trains to the fitchburg line, but thats a few years off. Last time I took the 5:30 outbound from North station, it was a cattle car, standing room only,and not a fun experience, as the train was late, as usual...

JoeF

by TPR37777

That stretch of single track through Acton and Littleton can't be helping.