Railroad Forums 

• Centerville RR rehab?

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#831029  by Mr. Ed

OK. I got lost! I posted a query asking about the RR tracks that cross 301 on a diagonal going into Easton. Error, does not compute! 301 doesn't go past Easton, it goes past Centerville!

So, the tracks that cross 301 on a diagonal that go into Centerville were closed by concrete barriers that last time I went throught the area ten years ago. Now the barriers are gone and there is a new signal box on the north side of the road. Has this line been rehabbed?

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #831100  by RockGp40

I wouldn't say rehabbed. I have worked for the MDDE for almost three years. We have no customers west of Route 301. However, we will store cars on this line (mostly for Perdue but also CPS or QA Coop/Southern States) as necessary - mainly during the fall during grain rush. There is also a runaround behind Tidewater Publishing. There is a spur that goes into Tidewater Publishing, but they haven't used rail for over 3 years and presumably much longer. The MDDE still owns the boxcars that were in dedicated service for them. Those boxcars are currently resting in Sudlersville.
 #831262  by Mr. Ed

Thanks for the reply. Car storage would explain why the crossing is active again.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #834693  by RockGp40

Teutobergerwald wrote:Why did Tidewater opt out on MDDE rail service?
Not sure exactly, but I think the owner retired and a new person took over control and opted for trucks rather then rail.
 #834913  by Mr. Ed

Sounds like MDDE needs a salesperson to get some businesses back and find new ones.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #848337  by RockGp40

Mr. Ed wrote:Sounds like MDDE needs a salesperson to get some businesses back and find new ones.

Later!
Mr. Ed
Funny we were talking about this just over a month ago. I worked the northern line yesterday and the Massey MOW man went to Tidewater to inspect, repair, grease, and replace items in the siding. It looks as if Tidewater Publishing may be coming back online in the near future. Stay tuned!
 #848758  by Mr. Ed

It makes you wonder how much business can be had if someone just went in and asked for it. With railroads being more efficient now, their prices have to be better than trucks. Plus if you look at the publishing industry, how many trucks would it take to haul the same amount of paper that you can get in one railcar? And would it be in a weatherproof box truck or a covered flatbed?

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #848817  by SemperFidelis

Sadly, and I deal with this situation daily, there remains a strong anti-rail sentiment in many business people that is simply maddening. Ask any salesman for a shortline. I am certain they have offered better rates and lost to trucks at least a dozen times in their career.
 #848970  by VaCentralRwy

Of course Tidewater LLC is located right on 301 which sees large amount of truck traffic bypassing the Baltimore-D.C. area. If some of those were running with empty backhauls, they could make a cheap deal to haul the scrap paper from Tidewater. I also wonder how much the State of Maryland has/will be cutting the MDDE subsidies in lean economic times.

John
 #848999  by RockGp40

I am not in any capacity trying to officially speak for the MDDE or the state, but Maryland just spent a ton of money rehabbing the line from Worton to Massey. Maryland also rehabbed two of the RS3m's too, one of which had been deadlined for a number of years (1201).

There was speculation that some of the standard cab GP39s from MARC were coming our way, but that is on hold as they are not geared right (idle + forward = 16 mph, we'd never have to go past notch two, and that would only be to move freight from a stop uphill!) for our lines and the turbos are all in place. Nobody wants to spend the money and work to outfit back to freight service.
 #860461  by RockGp40

Tidewater's first boxcar (a 46 year old ratty NS one) in many moons came online yesterday. Today's crew ought to have spotted that car, as well as a couple loads for QA Coop.

I love having more work on the railroad and seeing customers come (back) online. Now we just need to get the lumber place over in Linkwood (near Cambridge) to come back online too. There is a cut in for a switch for the Pep Up facility in East New Market, but that project stalled about two years ago.

Brian
MDDE
 #861153  by Mr. Ed

Good to hear. It will be done one customer at a time.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #867275  by PKelly

Nice to see a car spotted, albeit a graffiti marked one, at Tidewater.