Railroad Forums 

• Cass Scenic Railroad, Cass, West Virginia

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#711170  by Noel Weaver

Hard to believe that I could not find anything on here for almost a year about Cass Scenic Railroad in Cass, West Virginia.
I rode it twice in two days Thursday to Bald Knob which is the second highest mountain in West Virginia and Friday to Spruce, West Virginia an abandoned logging town and presently
the only connection to the national railroad system for Cass. We even rode about five miles on the former Western Maryland at Spruce and both trips were very interesting. The
Shay Locomotives are maintained to the highest degree, the operation is very professional in every way, the scenery is outstanding and the people are very friendly.
I highly recommend this operation to anybody who would like to ride a mountain railroad that is powered by nothing but steam.
Incidentally, I remember comments by some railroaders regarding women in engine service to the effect that if steam were still around the women would never have hired out as
firemen or engineers. My two days riding Cass can put that notion to rest at least as far as I am concerned. Fireperson AMY fired Shay no. 11 to Bald Knob on Thursday and to
Spruce on Friday and it is very demanding to hand fire a Shay on grades up to 9 per cent in places. The engine did not suffer from any lack of steam either day as it popped off a
few times when the engineer shut off or eased off.
On another thread it was mentioned about the presence of rattlesnakes in this area, snakes are everywhere in the east but I did not happen to see any here. I did see deer both days and there was evidence of the presence of black bears too.
I stayed in Bartow, WV which is 16 miles from Cass over good roads and the trip takes about 30 minutes or maybe a little less. Great accomodations and food at the Hermitage and
the dining room has railroad stuff all over the place. Great people here too.
I also rode the diesel train out of Elkins, West Virginia today over some 44 miles of the former Western Maryland now West Virginia Central and that was a good diesel trip with
former Western Maryland BL-2 no. 82 and two former DL & W MU's. This was a 44 mile ride in each direction and included in the ticket price was a buffet lunch of sandwiches and
other things, another nice outing. The hotel in Bartow is 40 miles from Elkins and the trip is just slightly over an hour in each direction over a mountain pass but a decent road.
It was a great three days and the cost was probably much less than comparable trips elsewhere.
Noel Weaver
 #711536  by QB 52.32

I certainly agree with you, Noel. I had the opportunity to ride a few times to Bald Nob during the '80's and came away impressed each time. One trip we enjoyed during the Fall, once I stayed overnight in one of the old loggers' houses in Cass (inexpensive), and, each and every trip rode the open flatcar just ahead of the engine (sometimes under the plastic sheeting they supplied to avoid the shower of cinders :-) ). Each trip completely filled the senses. Based upon my experiences, I'd highly recommend it!
 #711792  by ohioriverrailway

Cass runs a nice operation. Couple of years ago we rented the caboose and spent 2 nights up on the mountain. Talk about dark, alone and isolated. Wow!!
 #1546092  by Jeff Smith

https://www.wboy.com/local-news/pocahon ... p-of-2020/

Good news!
CASS, W.Va. – Saturday morning, Pocahontas County had a few hundred tourists back in town to see trains chugging down the tracks on the Cass Scenic Railroad for the first time in 2020.

The Cass Scenic Train Rides have not been available for passengers this season because of the coronavirus outbreak. They held this steam parade to let the public know they soon will be able to open the doors again for visitors, this time with a few safety precautions.
Five locomotive trains blew steam and passed by the spectators. Scriptunas said the Cass Scenic Railroad is one of the only places you can see this many locomotives back to back.
The Cass and Durbin train rides will be officially open to have passengers on board again, on Saturday July 4. Excursions out of Elkins plan to be picked back up in August. For the most up to date information, visit their website.
 #1622228  by Jeff Smith

https://www.wdtv.com/2023/05/15/train-r ... utType=amp
Train ride nearly 40 years in the making hits the tracks

CASS, W.Va (WDTV) - A train ride nearly 40 years in the making finally hit the tracks on Friday in Pocahontas County.

Shay 5, the official steam locomotive of West Virginia, burst through a golden ribbon on its first official trip over the reopened Trout Run Bridge on Friday.

Completion of the bridge reopens the excursion line from Cass Scenic Railroad to the town of Durbin, which had been closed since the bridge washed out in 1985.