• Can you wire brass for dcc operation?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by jlaroccoii

I had just purchased a couple of CSS&SB coaches from the old NKP Brass company and I was wondering, can they be wired for dcc operation?
  by green_elite_cab

Probably, just as you would any other engine, only this time you have to make sure that you don't have any shorts anywhere, or your engine or decoder will explode.
  by jlaroccoii

Thanks for the info. Someone once told me you could not run dcc in brass models. Figured I'd ask.
  by green_elite_cab

jlaroccoii wrote:Thanks for the info. Someone once told me you could not run dcc in brass models. Figured I'd ask.
yeah, you just need to make sure you isolate the motors and trucks from the frame and shell, and that all connections are covered.
  by ApproachMedium

I have an engine thats brass thats getting a sound decoder. I have plenty of members at my club with brass pieces with DCC decoders. Its very possable, but just like with actually using any piece of brass in HO, you must make sure none of the metal touches things like the wheels or you get shorts. Steam engines are a big pain in the butt for this.