• Can SEPTA AEM-7's pull Silverliners?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Nasadowsk

Adtranz got rolled into Bombardier a few years back :( Prior to then, I read somewhere (and this was circa 2000, post Tier I) that they were in fact considering offering an FRA version of the car. I suspect that given the miniscule market, they never bothered. No sense in making a totally custom car for a 10 car order...

by flexliner

I am indeed aware that the flexliners are NOT FRA compliant.
But, considering they could be useful (in various modifications) to LIRR MNRR NJT SEPTA (?MARC VRE) and i wonder how many others, strange that not one of these agencies ever tried to explore with Bombardier the possibility of making an FRA compliant version.
The flexliner was the train involved in the RR vs 50 ton truck here (Israel) last week BTW. Wonder how any of the FRA compliant cab cars would have fared vs that truck.....

by Nasadowsk

People I've talked to w.r.,t to that accident all said that it'd be more or less the same with FRA equipment....

The real interesting thing will be a chart showing the distribution of the deaths - and I bet you saw a few deaths in other cars besides the front car.

by ryanov

My suspicion (since his username is flexliner) is that he knows. ;)

by flexliner

ryanov, I chose the name because a few years ago I rode the IC3 fairly often to work...
I believe in the crash here most of the fatalities (save the engineer and truck driver) were in the first 2 cars.
but back to the idea at hand, pity no one can modify that which exists in Europe (mix EMU and DMU) to FRA standards rather than start from scratch every time...
one other point - one of the papers here staked out a few RR Xings just two days post crash- and caught busses trucks and cars still crossing - at marked and gated crossings - while the red lights were flashing and the gates starting to come down. People never learn it seems.
Grade separation seems the way to go....