Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1640663  by RandallW

west point wrote:
Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:19 am https://www.instagram.com/p/C4eSxjAPf1s ... ZoMHZ1Nmpl
It is hard to tell but the span over BNSF certainly is wide. Seems at least possible 4 tracks wide under the span. Or maybe giving some room if a possible BNSF derailment? It is no wonder the costs for CA HSR is so expensive.

A though about the HSR bridges. Are the bridges all using the same type and length of spans. Otherwise the problem of service interruption due to a bridge failure for whatever reason (derailment, truck hitting span, earthquake, etc.) will mean a long wait for a unique replacement. Standard spans would mean storage of extras for the eventual need.
The CAHSR is going under the bridge -- that bridge is being built to take a road that used to have a surface crossing with the BNSF over both the CAHSR and the BNSF.
 #1642101  by Jeff Smith

More fleet info: KTLA.com

A couple of observations:

-Do Alstom and Siemens have the manufacturing capacity?
-2028 for the prototypes, but it seems doubtful that the segment will be open
California High-Speed Rail one step closer to acquiring nation’s first 220 mph trains
A breakdown of what manufacturers will need to provide the CAHSR if selected to build its trainsets. (CAHSR)
Six electric trainsets capable of operating at speeds of 220 mph will need to be built, including two prototype trainsets for testing and trial running. Four will be deployed in the 171-mile “Initial Operating Segment” connecting Merced to Bakersfield.

The prototypes will need to be delivered by 2028, with the other four arriving by the time the Merced-to-Bakersfield segment nears operation. All trainsets will need to be tested to reach speeds of up to 242 mph, the Authority said.
 #1642182  by lensovet

2 trains by 2028 seems doable to me.

The bigger question is that the performance requirements for these exceed anything that's currently shipping, and their total order is for a massive…6 train sets?

Seems like a lot of squeeze for very little juice.
 #1642193  by RandallW

Siemens is offering the American Pioneer 220 and is building a new factory in NC that should allow them build the train in CA. Siemens seems to be thinking that they can modify the existing Velaro Novo design.

I can't tell what in Alstom's portfolio is their proposal, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't based on their Avelia platform.

The Velaro Novo designs for Europe have a in service design speed of 360 kph ( 223.69 mph) and the Alstom Avelia has a design speed of 350 kph (217.48 mph), which makes me think that CAHSR's 220 mph for regular operations requirement is achievable with existing designs.
 #1642236  by RandallW

eolesen wrote:
lensovet wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:09 pm Seems like a lot of squeeze for very little juice.
That pretty much sums up CAHSR as a project, no?
At the speeds these trains are planned to operate it seems like 6 trains should enable an hourly service over the initial operating segment, even if one train is in (un)scheduled maintenance. (I am presuming the prototype trains will be modified after initial testing to be indistinguishable to passengers from the production trains by the time the IOS opens.)
David Benton wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:18 pm Do they have to be built in the USA ?
Yes, Federal funds were used (I understand this will also be true of the Brightline West equipment).
 #1642290  by lensovet

RandallW wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:31 am I can't tell what in Alstom's portfolio is their proposal, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't based on their Avelia platform.
Thanks for the insight about Siemens, glad to hear it.

As far as Alstom, maybe they should try to deliver at least one Avelia trainset successfully first before signing up for any more new projects.
 #1643010  by John_Perkowski

Ca HSR Authority released tentative interior designs today on book of faces.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4781408008
As we move closer to buying trainsets, we're considering multiple seating options for high-speed rail passenger service. Here's a look at a few preliminary seating designs, in order:

💺 Premium
💺 Cocoon
💺 Compartment
💺 Comfort

#FactFriday #BuildHSR

IMG_5243.jpeg
IMG_5243.jpeg (319.84 KiB) Viewed 65 times
IMG_5243.jpeg
IMG_5243.jpeg (319.84 KiB) Viewed 65 times
IMG_5244.jpeg
IMG_5244.jpeg (343.16 KiB) Viewed 65 times
IMG_5246.jpeg