• Caboose/Cabin... 2-Foot Gauge

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Komachi

Hey guys,

In the Model Railroading Forum, I've talked about upscaling from HO to O, but I have a future project I want to build that will really be upscaling.

I'd like to build myself a little getaway... a small cabin that I can "escape" to and be alone for a little while. Nothing real fancy...

Except, that being a "train guy," I've decided that I'd like to build a "cabin" (a.k.a. caboose).

I'm currently researching a couple of prototypes that I want to base my design on... mostly, the wooden cabooses used by the Milwaukee Road around the turn of the last century. Although, given my limited space upon which I can build, a full-sized caboose is out of the question, so I'm also looking at narrow-gauge cabooses to determine the overall size and other dimensions of my project cabin. So far the plan is to build a steel frame (with steel ends and steps) and a wooden body. I also plan on obtaining some salvaged parts for the caboose, such as the brake system and couplers (I also know a couple places to get the rails and ties the car will be sitting on).

However, my biggest issue at the moment is in regards to where I can obtain a pair of 24" gauge trucks for my caboose. I've seen pictures of some two-footer, archbar trucks that look like they're nothing more than bar stock that's been bent and bolted together. I have some friends who are very tallented metal fabricators and could easily build something like that for me, but buying an existing set of trucks would probably be cheaper. Are there any companies that make 24" gauge trucks, or not? I've been lurking around a couple websites that cater to 2' gauge railroading community and have seen used trucks, axles, wheelsets occasionally come up for sale, but I'm just exploring my options in that respect. So, if anyone else out there is also in the two-foot community and knows where I can score a pair of trucks, let me know.

I'm hoping that I can eventually purchase some acerage somewhere (not a problem here in southeastern Minnesota), and build a railroad to run it on and some other rolling stock to run with it (I may build a flatcar after this, just so I can have a "deck/patio" to go with my cabin!). But that's a few years down the line. I'm also not going to be building the cabin for a couple years yet, as I have a few other projects I need to complete before I can start on it, but I'll keep you guys updated as planning continues and will eventually post pics, etc. when construction finally commences.

Until then...
  by Komachi

A-HA!!!

Just found a picture of a "bar stock" truck that I mentioned in the posting above. Found it on the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes website, discussing some of their projects. This particular truck is under a replica Forney, their #4.

It looks something like this...

http://www.srrl-rr.org/Projects/Loco_4/ ... 081800.jpg

Like I said, if I can find measured drawings for that kind of truck, and figure out what sized wheels and axles I need, I can have them fabricated for me. Toughest part will be in finding the journal boxes and bearings.

Anyway, stumbled across that image the other day and thought I'd post it, to give you guys an idea of what I was talking about.

The planning and designing continues...
  by ex Budd man

These are called 'Arch Bar' trucks, very common from the mid 1880s until the 1920-30s. Fabricated from flat bar stock and using a cast iron journal box. The Andrews truck was a cast design which reused the journal box from the arch bar truck.[attachment=1]800px-Archbar_ACL143.jpg
  by Komachi

Boy, shows you can learn something new everyday. Been in the hobby most of my life (well, as long as I can conciously remember, I've loved trains) and I always thought that style of truck was called an "arch bar" regardless if it was welded/bolted bar stock, or a cast frame.

So...

The arch bars shouldn't be too hard for my buddies to fabricate, assuming I can get some measured drawings. The hardest part of fabrication will be in getting a set of axles and having them re-gauged and locating a set of journal boxes (roller-bearing, of course).

So, the search for suppliers continues...
  by Mr. Ed

Try railswap.org. They hae a "very narrow gage" section that is dedicated to 24" and smaller. Last week there were several 24" axles for sale.

And arch bar tucks are any truck that has bolts holding it together. We have three sets at the Trust. Two are all flat stock and one is mostly cast but it does have two sets of bolts in it that qualify it as arch bar. Before you ask, they are standard gage and none are for sale.

Later!
Mr. Ed