Railroad Forums 

• C&D customer off the Eldee siding

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #437369  by LRail

Does anyone know when they will spot another car there? Or remove the current one. I would love to watch that. - Lee

#437546  by jayrmli

It's not a C&D customer. It's a building materials customer. Service is as needed. First they might need to do some track repair. The last car went in sideways.

Jay

#437646  by LRail

Yeah I've been down there a few times to see the car. Nice and shiny, the car that is not the track! It looks like there is a lot of room for service and with the other track it must make switching easier. When you service that customer do you still leave your train on the main or do you fit it all on the siding?

#437895  by Spartan Phalanx

Where is this spur, and what customers does it serve? Lumber/building materials and who else?
 #438049  by freightguy

The NYAR had this costumer called Salesmaster there up until 1999. It used to receive floor tiles sporadically. Sometimes the Rs 60 did during the day much to the chargrin of the residents of Deer Park including some of the bosses. It would cut the town in half at Commack Rd. and I think Carlls Path also. At least at Chesler lumber you had a signal box to hide in when your gate keys didn't work. The crossing just West of this was New Hyde Park Rd., which was even busier along with LIRR pasgr traffic!
 #475206  by C&D CASH OUT

I am a college student doing a school project.can someone help me find c&d transfer stations on rail?is there a list somewhere?looking for stations in NY and NJ mainly.i am running out of time.....

#475529  by Nova55

Emjay environmental in Brentwood, Coastal in Farmgingdale, Regus Industries ( used to be Waste Management I think? ) in Brooklyn, New guy on the Central and I think thats it..

#506520  by LRail

Does anyone know when the 6 gondolas will be pulled from the eldee siding?
-Lee

#523855  by Sir Ray

I stumbled across This site recently, maintained by a Paul Strubeck (is he a poster on this site?) last updated a year or so ago - anyway that page starts off with images of what I thought was this siding (west of Commack Rd, across from Home Depot, south of the LIRR main) which slopes down westerly behind the PC Richards, then branches out into a few sidings (the westernmost ones covered with seemingly solidly packed truck trailers, according to Google Earth). However, the pictures on his site clearly show the branch disconnected from the switch. Hmm
Was this just a temporary situation (until the track was repaired), is he referring to a different branch (looks correct, though), is this ElDee spur a different branch? So, what's the deal?

#523879  by jayrmli

For awhile when this siding was inactive, the frog was needed elsewhere. and was removed. When the siding was reactivated, LIRR had to replace the frog.

Unfortunately, that track needed a lot more work than replacement of the frog. I'm sure those in charge are still conducting scientific tests for their locomotives to operate over dirt and asphalt. :-D

Jay

#523887  by Nova55

Yes...I post here.. I gotta get to updating...Its on my list..

#528600  by nyandw

Nova55 wrote:Yes...I post here.. I gotta get to updating...Its on my list..
Just a few feet North another track went into the building here ( Penny Lumber ), Which still gets cars but on the team track.

Is Penny Lumber still an active NYA customer?
Steve

#528916  by jayrmli

No. NYAR told Penny Lumber if they wished to continue to receive service, they would have to pay the additional costs to get the car.

Penny decided to go to trucks.

Jay
 #551530  by LRail

Interesting find last night at the Eldee siding in Deer Park: The gondolas were on the upper track. It seems they have exhumed the switch and installed 2 bolts and nuts as a means of securing the switch. I also noticed that they ripped out a lot of the asphalt that had covered a good deal of the track. Can anyone give an update as to the spur and when they might pull the cars? -Lee
 #554428  by LRail

There were at least 12 gondolas on the siding today. They were split up into 3 separate groups. Anyone know when they will pull them? -Lee