• Building HO models of LIRR DM30's and double-deck coaches

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Yes- find some good plans to start working from... because you'll need to scratchbuild these bodies. Sheet styrene is available in various widths and thicknesses, and is suprisingly easy to work with.

-otto-

by M1 9147

Which is also in the works between myself, and a few of my friends, so if you decide to make them yourself, let me know.

by astrosa

Sorry, but the noses of the F59PHI and DM30 are not the same at all. They have completely different profiles and contours, so you would really be making it harder trying to kitbash an F59PHI shell. As Otto said, you'd need to scratchbuild the body from sheet styrene. It won't be as hard as you think to build up a sub-shell in the basic shape and then start laminating thin sheets and strips for the surface details. There have been numerous articles in the magazines giving advice about working with styrene.

For the bi-level cars, it's basically the same story, except not nearly as difficult. You can use various thicknesses of styrene sheets to build up the body, cutting out holes for the windows. I may have drawings of these cars but I'm not sure about that.