• Buffalo Central Terminal Spring Update

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SimTrains

First, I want to thank everyone who voted, and commented on the poll. I know a lot of people from the BCTRC were watching it, and reading your replies.

Using block grant money we received last year, work has begun on repairing the buildings end caps - the concrete roof sections that cover the ends of the arches. The end caps will have all deteriorated concrete removed, and new concrete will be poured. They will then be waterproofed and flashing will be installed. At this time, two of the endcaps have been fully repaired, with work beginning on the remaining arches.
Check Out My Pictures Of The Roof Work

One of the major projects of our own building committee for 2005 is the construction of a new mezzanine railing. Beginning as a project to construct a temporary railing allowing use of the mezzanine, it quickly turned into a complete restoration project. Spearheaded by Art Kogutowski, the building committee began work on a replica of the decorative railing that once stood on the mezzanine, to be installed in May. Check Out My Pictures Of The New Railings

And of course, the clock. Jeff Ingersoll brought the clock home from Chicago and has been working to repair and install the clock in the buildings concourse for the 2005 season. No Pictures Of That Yet, But Check Back Soon!!

I want to encourage anyone even remotely interested in the terminal to head out this Saturday for out annual spring cleanup. We need help preparing the terminal grounds for another busy summer season. Check Out The BCTRC Web Site For More Info

Everyone in the Western New York area be sure to pick up a newspaper or watch the evining news on Tuesday, May 10th. We will be holding a special press conference to reveal the clock returning to the Central Terminal!

That’s about all for now, we hold special clean up sessions just about every Saturday, e-mail us at the BCTRC if you are interested in joining the building team, and help us work on the building from the inside! There e-mail is [email protected]

by Otto Vondrak

Nice pictures, keep the news and photos coming!

-otto-

by SimTrains

The plans for now are to restore to its former glory. Whatever comes along, we are always open to suggestions. The platforms were severed from the terminal in the 1980's, and are the current property of Amtrak. Also, they have no rails running through them. So, unless if rail service were to return to the terminal (doubtfull) we really have no reason to go after obtaining the platform building.

I'll post an update later with some pictures from yesterdays clean up!