Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by EAST

someone wanna explain why the heck there have been a few passenger cars in gardner for the past few days? these things dont look old either they could easily transport people thier not rusty or anything. on the same note i also say an old passenger car go through athol yesterday but it looked about 50 years old...
  by TomNelligan

I haven't seen the cars that you're referring to, but those are probably the privately-owned RDCs that are currently en route from the Danbury Railroad Museum to Lincoln, NH, for shop work. That move would involve a P&W-PanAm interchange which would normally be performed at Gardner.
  by RedLantern

Are they still there?
  by mick

It is the New Haven Roger Williams RDC set. It is awaiting inspection (for what, I don't know) before it can continue on Pan Am. It looks very nice, they did a great job restoring it.
  by Cosmo

The inspection (which may already have happened, as, If I'm not mistaken, it's already moved on towards NH,) is no doubt by the recieving carrier. They have and do exercise the right to inspect anything they want before accepting it from annother carrier. They also have the right to refuse anything they want from annother carrier.
  by jaymac

Jonelle-
To confirm and update your post, as of 1605, the Budds are still in Gardner yard, slowly being rust-welded to the rails.
  by mick

They were moved tonight by EDAY. EDAY IS NOT a regular train, they just called it that because it had all cars for Ayer. Sometimes they just call a train wherever it is going.The crew was the EDNM crew.
In another note, the former B&M freight depot at Otter River MA, near Baldwinville, has been demolished. It was being used by Seaman Paper Co. for years to store scrap paper which they recieved in boxcars. Seaman built a new loading dock there, and now the scrap paper goes from boxcars right into trucks. They also had a high-wide transformer load, which they get from time to time. Where it goes or why it is unloaded there I have no idea.
  by Tom coughlin

The Roger Williams and other RDC's sighted in tow heading north through Tyngsboro @ 07:30.
Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA
  by thebigham

^Yes, they are on the move!
  by jimmiegag

That is good news!
So far so good.
Thanks for the information and update, and please keep me informed
Thankyou,
JIm Gagliardi
Budd RDC Foundation
  by jimmiegag

Thank you for that information, and that is better news.
Please keep me advised on the progress of the cars.
Thanks again,
JIm Gagliardi
  by Rockingham Racer

One hour forty-five minutes to go from Tyngsboro to Nashua? Incredible, if the times quoted are accurate....That'll have to change when commuter rail gets up there! :-D
  by jimmiegag

I understand that the cars are now saftely behind a fence in Concord, NH.
Ben Clark (Plymouth &Lincoln RR) also told me that they arrived without incident. Thank goodness for that.

PANAM has done it, and done it well! Although both railroads have made this move for the cars before, I am greateful to both PANAM, and the P&W RR for job well done.

Thank you all here for your up to date infomation over the past couple of days, it has eased my anxiety.

Now the cars will move over the NEGS RR and the PLymouth and Lincoln RR for their final lap lap to Lincoln,NH.

Thanks again,
Jim Gagliardi
Budd RDC Foundation