• Budd Amfleet I Replacement Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Train60

And so it begins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by WesternNation

Train60 wrote:And so it begins.
This has already been covered in both the "Amtrak DMUs" and "RFP for new locomotives" threads.
  by Train60

WesternNation wrote:This has already been covered in both the "Amtrak DMUs" and "RFP for new locomotives" threads.
Note the subject line please.

Amtrak needs to replace the Amfleet I cars which are now over 40 years old, most of which are used on the NEC. They can look at DMUs all they want but they still are going to need coaches and control cars for use on the NEC. Maybe we could see DMUs on the Springfield Line but my bet is that ConnDOT takes over most of equipment pool on this line in 3-5 years if they find some money for new equipment.

Here's a good industry article on this topic
https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/am ... lacements/
  by eolesen

I'd say this deserves its own topic, but the lines definitely get blurred when you consider integrated trainsets...
  by Matt Johnson

Siemens seems to have its act together and the Brightline coaches look to be Acela-level nice or better, so I'd like to see more Siemens Viaggio coaches in Amtrak's future.
  by DutchRailnut

RFI, request for information is basically, like going to dealer and asking for catalog ? it means very little, cause there is no specifications yet other than the PRII stuff.
  by WesternNation

Train60 wrote:]
Note the subject line please.

Amtrak needs to replace the Amfleet I cars which are now over 40 years old, most of which are used on the NEC. They can look at DMUs all they want but they still are going to need coaches and control cars for use on the NEC. Maybe we could see DMUs on the Springfield Line but my bet is that ConnDOT takes over most of equipment pool on this line in 3-5 years if they find some money for new equipment.

Here's a good industry article on this topic
https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/am ... lacements/
I was under the impression that dual threads about a topic tend to clutter the forum with redundant posts...?

I agree with Mr. Johnson: Siemens will probably get the nod for the cars, considering they've got the production line going now and Amtrak will be using them for California and Chicago trains soon enough. As for new long-distance coaches..I wouldn't mind seeing a prototype for a single level Viewliner coach from CAF...give the LD trainsets a uniform look. Something like this:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... ach-465774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Anthony

There also should be dome and observation cars in this order. Make rail travel great again!
  by east point

Why replace AM-1s when AM-2s have much more mileage and wear and tear on tracks that are rougher than NEC ?
  by WesternNation

east point wrote:Why replace AM-1s when AM-2s have much more mileage and wear and tear on tracks that are rougher than NEC ?
Because the AM-1s are nearly as old as Amtrak and are probably showing signs of wear. Amtrak’s refresh is only a temporary measure, as the cars are more economical to replace than to repair.
  by frequentflyer

Matt Johnson wrote:Siemens seems to have its act together and the Brightline coaches look to be Acela-level nice or better, so I'd like to see more Siemens Viaggio coaches in Amtrak's future.
Rumor has it Anderson wants one single level car to replace the corridor and LDT cars. One car means less spares and supposedly better reliability. So a Viaggio outfitted from coach to sleeper may
be Amtrak's future.
  by SouthernRailway

Why wouldn't Amtrak just order a bunch of Viewliner coaches or Brightline cars (however they're named)? Why start this process from scratch?
  by DutchRailnut

again were miles away from ordering , just window shopping .
  by mtuandrew

SouthernRailway wrote:Why wouldn't Amtrak just order a bunch of Viewliner coaches or Brightline cars (however they're named)? Why start this process from scratch?
Would be nice, but imagine the fuss if other companies weren’t at least allowed to sniff the contract. Kawasaki, Rotem, N-S, Bombardier, Stadler, Mitsubishi, and CRRC all have NEC-capable designs, whether they need work to fit the spec or not, and whether or not they feel like dealing with Amtrak’s apparently finicky Mechanical department. Politically, there could be some pressure to spread contracts throughout the country as well, but for once there isn’t a total lack of carbuilders in America. (American-owned is another matter.)
  by R36 Combine Coach

mtuandrew wrote:Politically, there could be some pressure to spread contracts throughout the country as well, but for once there isn’t a total lack of carbuilders in America. (American-owned is another matter.)
ACF is the only one of the great American coach builders left, now in freight only. But the St. Louis Car assembly plant is intact and still has the cranes used to lift cars in the assembly shop (now repurposed as the St. Louis Business Center).