• Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen logo

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

by LRWest

My grandfather was a conductor in Illinois during the early 1900's. This is a photo of the back cover of his pocket watch. The case is an 18s made by Wadsworth. The emblem is, according to my father, that of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen. This logo looks nothing like the emblem I commonly see for the BRT. Has anyone ever seen this logo before and if so where? Does anyone know if the BRT offered these custom watch cases to their members? Any help in tracking down some of the history behind this case is appreciated.

Larry West

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/lwest/www/Wad ... iq=-2twbns[/url]

YES

by henry6

Yes. I have several enameled pins from that era with that logo. As for the watch itself, it could have been manufactured with that engraving, or custom engraved by the local jeweler. Either way it was an expensive watch cover. Use Google or Ask search engines for "Wadsworth railroad watches" or "Wadsworth railroad pocket watches" and see where it leads you. There are collectors, too, who might be able to help plus your local jeweler or watchmaker (are they still around? Yes...check with your jeweler) could be of help.

by Ken W2KB

Is it engraved? Looks like it is a raised emblem, in which case it almost certainly was manufactured.

by jg greenwood

I originally hired on in 1966. At that time, IIRC, the logo for the BRT was a snake intertwined around a brake-wheel. This very well could have been an "un-official" logo. There were window stickers with this logo. Again, official, un-official, I'm not certain.
  by henry6

I will have several of these pins at the Roberson Museum 30 Front St., BInghamton, NY Train Show this Sunday, 1/14. Not meant to be a sales pitch for me as much as a pitch for the show for any of you who might be available.