• Broken Down Equipment on the Franklin Forge Park line

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by railfan101

I was coming home from work tonight and as I was coming into my station(Dedham Corp), I noticed two trains Piggybacked to each other coming into the station. The lead train was at least a six car flatty consist with an F40 and directly ttached was a bilevel/flatty consist and an F40 that appeared to be dead.
The sign in the station said that train #794 was operating 55 minutes behind schedule. Does anyone have any info on this?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

yes one of those train did die on the outbound run and the next outbound run came up behind it and pushed it the rest of the way, and i belvie they stayed together on the inbound run
  by GP40MC1118

It was F40PHM-2C 1030 that gave up the ghost...

D

by CSX Conductor

Probably 794 being pushed by 796, which arrives Norwood Central as 795 at 525 and departs at 535pm. However double-drafts are not un-common on the Franklin Branch. M-F train #6701 runs straight from Southampton Street to Milford non-revenue via the Dorchester Branch. In the evening train #724 is a revenue set making scheduled stops between Forge Park and South Station via the Dorchester. (This set is usually serviced at Southampton and then brought back to South Station to go out the next morning as P501 to Framingham.) :wink:

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

now that you mention the south station thing, do MBTA trainsets that originate at South Station in the mornings, idle in South Station over night or do all the sets go back to Southhampton st. for the night and then go over in the morning?

by CSX Conductor

Some layover in South Station, only P501 and maybe one other. The first reveue Franklin (400am departure), for example usually comes out of the "Front Yard" in Southampton. Most trains tie-up at outlying facilities for the overnights and weekends. During the weekday off-peak many sets are dead-headed to the Readville shops and then dead-headed back into Boston prior to the evening rush.