• Britain's first new steam locomotive in 50 years

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by MBTA3247

Britain's first new steam locomotive in almost 50 years rolled out of the Darlington Locomotive Works yesterday. The Tornado is a replica A1-class Pacific. It will eventually be put to work hauling excursions throughout Britain.

It looks very nice! :-D
  by pennsy

Very Impressive Indeed. Will she be limited to the UK or will she be allowed to travel abroad ? Occasionally, the Flying Dutchman has visited the USA with tremendous success. It would be interesting to have the Tornado visit and tour the USA. It really would be impressive to see her teamed up with # 844 or # 4449.
  by george matthews

pennsy wrote:Very Impressive Indeed. Will she be limited to the UK or will she be allowed to travel abroad ? Occasionally, the Flying Dutchman has visited the USA with tremendous success. It would be interesting to have the Tornado visit and tour the USA. It really would be impressive to see her teamed up with # 844 or # 4449.
Flying Scotsman, I think you mean.

I have no idea what the owners, the A1 Trust, will do. They say it will be used for steam excursions in Britain. There is plenty of market for that sort of thing. I presume it has had all the necessary modifications for signalling systems built in. I doubt if it will travel abroad.
  by TRAINSFORBRAINS

http://www.a1steam.com/
Everything you need to know is here. I've been tracking this for a few years through thier website. We should do this in the US with something we have lost to the torch or toward a restoration project that has been taking way to long.