• Bridge before CUT...

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Komachi

Okay,

For those of you who are familiar with Chicago Union Terminal. About 4-5 miles before/after (depending on direction of travel) before/after the Metra shop/yards and CUT (riding the Hiawatha or Empire Builder... not sure what direction that would be in relation to CUT), above one of the sets of approach tracks is a rusted, abandoned, black bridge (your stereotypical Warren truss-type). It's resting on some concrete abuntments, with a visible approach (buried in local flora) on one side, while the other... well, there's no apparent line there, just the factory rooflines, although I'm assuming there was a tall viaduct that connected to the bridge.

Was this part of a now abandoned railroad line, former "L" line or interurban route? Just currious.

by AmtrakFan

South Side St. Charles Airline.
  by Komachi

No, I don't believe it's a part of the Air Line, however, I did some digging around after I read your post and came across mention of the Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad, could it have been a part of that network? Like I said, it looks like it hasn't been in use for many years (and I'm not 100% up to speed on all the railroads, interurban, trolley and El lines that ran through the Chi-town area). But I'll take your word that it might have been a part of the air line. (Can't seem to find much writtien on it though.)

by CSX ENG

For starters, the bridge in question is NOT part of the St. Charles Air Line---the "Air Line" is roughly parellel to 16th St and connected the CB&Q, CNW and the B&OCT to the IC.

The bridge is also NOT part of the B&OCTRR, because the furthest north the B&OCT went is parellel to the Congress Expressway.