Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by CHANGEATJAMAICA

We're looking a long way into the future, late spring of 2010 to be exact and have a question about Canada's transcon service. We've been on just about all Amtrak's LD services and wonder how VIA's is different, especially in the bedroom amenities. The VIA website describes bedrooms as having "washrooms" do they include toilets or are they "down the hall"? The VIA bedrooms appear to be rather small compared to Amtrak's, are they or is ot just the photos? Any and all comments on planning a trip Toronto to Vancouver would be appreciated. Thanks.
Best regards,
Rodger
  by NS VIA FAN

Single, Double and triple Bedrooms all include private toilet and sink in your room. Toilets are in a separate annex with door in Double & Triple Bedrooms (see floor plan below) Single Bedrooms have the toilet right in the room but it's covered. Only if you are occupying a upper or lower berth (old style "Pullman" type accommodations with curtains) would you have to go "down the hall". Each "Manor" or "Chateau" car has a single shower for use by all and occupies the space of a former section (upper/lower berth) Park Cars don't have a shower.....use the one in the adjacent car. Rooms are not huge but fine.....besides you will be spending most of your time in the Dome, Diner or Park Car anyway!

http://www.viarail.ca/classes/en_serv_visi_voit.html

The Renaissance Sleepers (used on the Ocean) are a bit different. Double Bedrooms have a private sink and toilet in an annex in each room. Deluxe Double Bedrooms also include a private shower in the annex.

http://www.viarail.ca/classes/en_serv_v ... _voit.html
  by CHANGEATJAMAICA

Looking way ahead to spring to 2010 and a trip across Canada on VIA to Vancouver. I'm a little more than confused trying to figure how to get from Boston via Amtrak to the terminus of VIA's transcontinetal service. Any and all information will be appreciated. We'll try and make reservations for a bedroom for on the LD service. Originally posted a question on bedroom accommodations under "Washrooms". Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards,
Rodger

Just thought of something you folks may be able to help me with in connection (sic) to the above. We live in Merrimac, MA quite near the route of Amtrak's Downeaster. What are the benefits/problems associated with trying to take the Downeaster to Portland, the ferry to Yarmouth and somehow getting up to Halifax to take the train to Montreal and thence onto Toronto and finally Vancouver? Again I appreciate your knowledgable responses.
  by CHANGEATJAMAICA

This doesn't look like it's going to be easy...and you folks aint' helpin' so far.
1. Looks like an overnighter in PWM. The ferry to YQI leaves at 0800 arriving on/about 1600 ADT.
2. Which requires another overnighter in YQI as the ground transport to YHZ also leave at 0800 arriving
between 1130 and 1230. The between is the sticky point as the VIA train to YUL leaves at 1235.
3. So to be safe it seems another overnighter is needed in YUL. So three full days and haven't yet step
foot on a VIA train.
4. Train #15 arrives YUL on/about 0800 giving us almost a full day to tour Montreal before
boarding train #1 for a 2200 departure. We should arrive YYJ on/about 0900 the third morning.
5. Now to wade our way through the VIA website on accommodations and costs. We'll want a bedroom
on all legs, but the bedrooms on the Ocean and the Canadian appear to be of diffent specs and
services.
Fortunately we've a little over a year before travel commences should we decide the logistics are worth
the effort. Again, if any of you folks familiar with VIA and their services could help we'd appreciate it.
Will keep you posted as we "progress".
Best regards,
Rodger
Whoa, just realized we've gotten to YUL but still have to continue onto YYZ for the 2200 boarding of the Canadian. I'll be back when I've crossed that bridge/pont.
Looks like that "almost full day too tour Montreal" will be made up of travel between YUL and YYZ. The schedules appear finally to mesh. There's a decent connection at YUL and at YYZ. But still it's not going to be easy. Interesting maybe, but definately not easy
Code: Select all
Moderator's note:
to help readers translate the above post, here is a list of the IATA airport codes used:

PWM - Portland International Jetport - Portland, Maine
YQI - Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
YHZ - Robert L Stanfield International Airport - Halifax, Nova Scotia
YUL - Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport - Dorval(Montreal), Quebec
YYJ - Victoria International Airport - Victoria, British Columbia
YYZ - Lester B Pearson International Airport - Mississauga(Toronto), Ontario

although VIA trains and The Cat Ferry do not serve any of these airports (well, maybe Dorval) directly
  by Ken V

I don't have any experience with travel to/from Maine so I can't offer much help there, but it seems like a lot of overnight stays are needed to get to Halifax by a combination of land and sea using public transportation. I don't know your circumstances but it may make sense to fly to Halifax. I would think there are mutliple daily flights from either Portland or Boston to choose from.

About the missing link (Montreal to Toronto), you can take an afternoon train from Montreal (e.g. #67) to connect with the Canadian and still have most of the day to tour there.

BTW: I've combined the two topics here together since they are related to each other.
  by CHANGEATJAMAICA

KenV.
I'm a thirtyfive year veteran of the airline industry with a life time space available pass and options for positive reduced rate transportation on most of the world's airlines. I and my bride of fortyfive years PREFER trains and are willing to put up with some inconveniences to travel on them. Over the past five years we've made four transcontinental travels on most of Amtrtak's LD routes. We thought we'd like to try VIA next year. Unfortunately we live in northeast Massachusetts and connections to VIA by way of New York are just as or more onerous than the "plan" throught Nova Scotia. But we're game...so far.
We've traveled to the "Maritimes" by auto a number of times in the past, including trips on the Scotia Prince between Portland and Yarmouth, and feel "comfortable" trying it on public transport. The trip as unwieldy as it seems by surface is more than acceptable versus air...for us. But thanks for the suggestion.
Best regards,
Rodger
P.S. One of our more memorable trips was on the occasion of our twentyfirst anniversary when we along with our bicycles flew BOS/LHR. We had purchased BritRail passes and toured the UK on BritRail, using our bicyles when we alighted from the train at numerous stops between London and Edingburgh. One of the most enjoyable of our numerous European vacations.
Some twentyfive years ago when BritRail was then operating Intecity 125's and Acela was still the gleam in some ones eye.
  by NS VIA FAN

CHANGEATJAMAICA wrote:This doesn't look like it's going to be easy...and you folks aint' helpin' so far.
1. Looks like an overnighter in PWM. The ferry to YQI leaves at 0800 arriving on/about 1600 ADT.
2. Which requires another overnighter in YQI as the ground transport to YHZ also leave at 0800 arriving
between 1130 and 1230. The between is the sticky point as the VIA train to YUL leaves at 1235.
Have you considered a one-way car rental from Yarmouth to Halifax? AVIS has a rental office in the Yarmouth Ferry Terminal and I just did a quick check on a one-way rate: $145. And when you consider the bus fare is around $50/person and the cost of extra hotel night......very reasonable. It is around a three hour drive to Halifax but you might want to consider driving half way there in the afternoon when you get off the ferry, stay at one of the south-shore resorts then into Halifax the next morning in time to get VIA's Ocean at noon.

Found this interesting trip report here in the Rail Travel Forum:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 55&t=27614
  by CHANGEATJAMAICA

While perusing the Canadian/Canadien schedule with thoughts of traveling on it late spring next year from Toronto to Vancouver I noticed the train is scheduled into Winnipeg at 0801 but not scheduled to leave until 1200. What is the reason for the protracted layover?

Thanks
Best regards,
Rodger
  by CHANGEATJAMAICA

Okay. We have an expression in our family: Mrs. Rodgers didn't raise any stupid kids, a couple were slow but none of them were stupid. I had begun, as one of Mrs. Rodgers kids, to doubt the veracity of the expression especially when it came to deciphering VIA's website. But I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it. Amtrak simple it ain't, but I guess you folks north of the border are better educated than I am. Anyway: I was able to price a double, triple and Romance accomodations for next spring. The double with the senior discount, and we're bona fide seniors, between Toronto and Vancouver is close to what the Amtrak fare is from Chicago to the coast. However, Via also provides a triple which would, at a hefty surcharge allow me not to have to scale the Himalayas (climb into an upper) as it appears to have two lowers. AND then for a princely fee, no make that a kings ransom there is the Romance Suite...and that's the off season ransom. The on season cost not only is a ransom, it includes my childrens inheritence.
I guess I'll just have to spend some more time aclimating myself to the VIA accomodations and see how many children I want to disinherit to travel. As always, appreciate your suggestions and recommendations.
Best regards,
Rodger
  by NS VIA FAN

CHANGEATJAMAICA wrote:While perusing the Canadian/Canadien schedule with thoughts of traveling on it late spring next year from Toronto to Vancouver I noticed the train is scheduled into Winnipeg at 0801 but not scheduled to leave until 1200. What is the reason for the protracted layover?
It's the Canadian's new 4 night schedule with lots of dwell time to allow it to catch-up when delayed enroute.

Lots of info here in this thread:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 59&t=47608
  by Ken V

The reason for the extended layover in Winnipeg can be expressed in one word: padding. If the train is delayed for any reason, then the four hours allows for some catch-up time. VIA still requires about an hour to service and restock the train there.

I wouldn't say those of us up in the Great White North are any better (or worse) educated in general than our American cousins and I have to agree that VIA's web site isn't the easiest thing to navigate. Sometimes finding certain information on there can take quite a lot of effort.
  by NS VIA FAN

Ken V wrote:...........and I have to agree that VIA's web site isn't the easiest thing to navigate. Sometimes finding certain information on there can take quite a lot of effort.
Check back next month.......A new VIA Web Site is launching around June 17.
  by jp1822

Triple bedroom is very nice. Here's something to keep in mind. Typically VIA will sell the Triple Bedroom in advance for the "Park Car." This is actually where you may find yourself spending most of your time any way. This is the tail end observation/dome car. The sleepers are on the forward section of the car, with the dome and observation/lounge on the back end of the car.

If I were to get a Triple Bedroom, I would want to get a "Triple Bedroom in the Park Car" - and you want to say those exact words to the reservation agent. Then you are also only 3 [sleeper] cars away from the diner - which isn't that bad. The only downside - you have to walk to the next car over (which is a sleeper) to access the communal shower. You'll have a washroom in your Triple Bedroom (including sink etc.), but just no shower.

If you don't get the "Triple Bedroom in the Park Car" you are going to be getting a Triple Bedroom in one of the "Chateau Series" sleepers. Now these cars can be placed anywhere on the train and consider that the Canadian can be a very LONG train (heavily weighted towards sleepers). If I didn't get the "Triple Bedroom in the Park Car" I'd want to know where - in comparison to the room they book you in - a) how far away is the diner b) how far away is the Park Car (or at least another dome car) etc. The reservation agent can pull up the train's intended consist even when booking this far out.

The "Triple Bedroom in the Park Car" typically sells out fast - most of the Triple bedrooms for that matter, but especially the one in the Park Car for reasons described above!

You mentioned the difference between the Canadian sleepers and the sleepers on the Ocean. The sleepers on the Canadian are refurbished, nostalgic sleepers from the 1950s, upgraded with some modern conveniences. There's a range of bedrooms - open sectio berths, single bedroom, double bedroom, triple bedroom and then of course the idea of the "Romance by rail" which is simply buying two double bedrooms and the VIA attendant opening the partitions between the rooms etc.

The sleepers on the Ocean operate with European styled "Renaissance Equipment." On some days over the winter months though it operates with cars similiar to that of the Canadian to allow servicing of the Renaissance cars. This is the newest fleet of equipment VIA has - shipped from Europe and put in operation around 2000 or so. Definitely book a Double Bedroom Deluxe - this has shower, bathroom etc. all in the car sleeping compartment. If needed, you can even put luggage in the bathroom area! There's only two types of bedrooms - Double Bedroom (no shower, just washroom) and Double Bedroom Deluxe (with washroom and shower). The seating in these sleeper is just a single long couch (perpendicular to the window), where as on the Canadian the double bedroom has chairs that are moveable and can be utilized to arrange around the window as needed.

Honestly, I've had a pleasant trip in both the Renaissance Equipment and the Canadian's Equipment (commonly referred to as HEP equipment or stainless steel Budd cars). I found both to be fine for sleeping in. However, the Ocean, with its Renaissance equipment only has a Park Car (dome observation car) added during peak travel periods (May through October - or something like that) and VIA markets this as their "Easterly Class" service. Otherwise, there are mid-train lounges, but they are certainly not like the Skyline or Park Car dome/lounges that you get on the Canadian.

I've found the food on the Canadian better than that on the Ocean, but still the food is good on both. The food on the Ocean's "Renaissance Diner" is food that's been prepared ahead of time and just needs to be zapped in the mircorwave.

The Ocean is a nice train if you've never been on it, and travelling westbound, you'd probably get less "ancy" in staying in your bedroom or the Renaissance lounge cars.

I personally like the idea of trying to get to Yartmouth and then picking up a rental car to travel up to Halifax. I didn't realize Avis allowed a one-way rental of such. The southern Nova Scotia coastline is one of the most scenic coastlines on the Atlantic coastline (sorry - after visiting Cape Breton in Nova Scotia, Maine got a "second best" from me!). You can stay in Halifax at the Westin (Nova Scotian) - which is adjacent to the Halifax VIA Rail Station. Very nice hotel - and request a "waterside view room." I love the Halifax area and the south shore line.

Amtrak - you'd have to go to NYC and overnight, then take the Maple Leaf out early the next morning. Or you'd have to take the Lake Shore Limited to either Albany or another city/town on the route to pick up the Maple Leaf there. I wouldn't try for a same day connection between the Maple Leaf and the Canadian, even though on paper it is doable. You just never know with rail travel and especially with delays that can come at the border crossing. Definitely book business class on the Maple Leaf - as only half the car is setup for business class seating (so less people) and the seats have recently been re-done (more often than not you'll have leather seating with leg rests, foot rests etc. And the cafe car is just in front of you (separated by a curtain).

Another idea is to take the Adirondack from NYC or Albany (overnighting in one of those cities) up to Montreal. Overnight in Montreal and then take a VIA corridor train to meet up with the Canadian. The Adirondack has spectacular scenery along the cliffs of Lake Champlain. Adirondack is one of my favorite East Coast day-time trains. It's slow because it has to meander through various towns and cliffs along Lake Champlain etc. You'd want a seat on the right side of the train upon leaving Albany. Maple Leaf doesn't offer the greatest scenery, but it has its perks along the way.
  by CHANGEATJAMAICA

jp1822. I agree whole heartedly about the coast of Nova Scotia and especially Cape Bretton Island. In the long ago past when we were "younger". we spent a number of enjoyable vacations in Canada's Atlantic Provinces. When I way "younger", it was in the days when we cheerfuly camped in a two person pup tent on a bluff on Cape Bretton overlooking the ocean.
A storm came up overnight, blew our tent down and soaked us to the skin...but somehow we made the best of it. Today, however, we need our comfort, ergo trying to decide between double and triple accomodations on VIA. A couple of years ago we tried to make arrangements to vist Newfoundland and Labrador but were unable to obtain cabins on the ferry's to meet our time frame. I would dearly to have visited the airport at Gander. In the '50's before satelite telephones and such I kept in touch from New York with "our man from Gander" on an RCA teletype machine: ker chunk, by ker chunk. I also sent more ferry's and freighters carrying spare engines for Connies and Douglas equipment than I could count.
But back to VIA, thanks for your inciteful suggestions. We will take them to heart.
Thanks.
Best regards,
Rodger
  by NS VIA FAN

CHANGEATJAMAICA wrote:..... A couple of years ago we tried to make arrangements to vist Newfoundland and Labrador but were unable to obtain cabins on the ferry's to meet our time frame.
Shouldn't be any problem now getting a cabin to Newfoundland.....Marine Atlantic just put their new "Atlantic Vision" into service.....200 cabins, 530 cars. And when you get there, still lots left to explore along the now abandoned narrow gauge railways with museums and equipment displays in several towns.

http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/en/NewVes ... ssel.shtml
CHANGEATJAMAICA wrote:..... I would dearly to have visited the airport at Gander. In the '50's before satelite telephones and such I kept in touch from New York with "our man from Gander" on an RCA teletype machine: ker chunk, by ker chunk. I also sent more ferry's and freighters carrying spare engines for Connies and Douglas equipment than I could count.
Gander is no where as busy as it was in the prop era but still sees large aircraft in for fuel or diversions on a daily basis and certainly played a big role on 9-11.

http://www.ganderairport.com/911.htm