• Boston Railway Terminal

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by CSX Conductor

MikeB wrote:Do the cars go to BRT come into town via the Beacon Yard?
No. Normal routing from Selkirk is to Readville via Framingham. From Readville they are delivered to the BRT by local job B733 via the MBCR's Dorchester Branch to the Middleboro Branch. :wink:

csx

by MikeB

Thanks CSX. Where are the boxcars, tank cars, and covered hoppers I see in the Beacon yard going and coming from?
  by GP40MC1118

CSX Conductor will probably have the real scoop on this, but the reefers go to New Produce Center in Everett/Chelsea. Covered hoppers and tank cars are unloaded in the yard for various companies. Boxcars go over to Romar Terminal across Cambridge Street from the yard.

I believe there are some cars coming in from Framingham that are bad order repair cars, but not sure.

Dave

by CSX Conductor

Dave is right again. There are a few covered hoppers that actually arrive Beacon Park empty and are spotted at a newer silo on the flexi=flow site to be loaded with fly-ash from trucks. :wink:

Some tanks go to Houghton Chemical behind the Double Tree hotel as well.

If you want to continue discussing Beacon Park, perhaps you should start a new thread on the CSXT forum or even here on the New England forum........but we are straying off the topic of Boston Railway Terminal. :wink:

by CSX Conductor

Sorry to bring back such an old thread, but I have some good news for some of you :-D , and some bad news :( .

First, the good news. For those interested I just stumbled upon a few pics of Alan's locomotive, too bad she doesn't run now, and doesn't look as good :(

Now the bad news.... I have heard from some very reliable people that CSXT is going to court to evict BRT from it's South Boston location. :( Is this another reason why more cars are going to the P&W locations lately as opposed to Southie???

by FatNoah

I used to work in World Trade Center West. Every day, from the cafeteria on the 13th floor, I got a great view of the lack of rail activity. Now that I no longer work there, stuff starts happening!

by CSX Conductor

Actually things were busier last year, up until about September or October of this year. During the last 2 months the BRT has onlu received about 8 cars, in 3 or 4 different occasions. Also, CSX local B733 which services the BRT works at night and usually doesn't get to the BRT until midnight or later, depending on what other customers they have to service. :wink:

by CSX Conductor

Here's a shot of B733 servicing the BRT in a rare daylight appearance.

by Guilford Guy

sorry to bring this back but what happened to our friend BRT

by CSX Conductor

CSXT lawyers finally served the BRT with official eviction papers a few months ago. They owe CSXT tons of money supposedly dating back to the Con-Rail days. As of a couple weeks ago the BRT was dis-assembling one of their cranes to truck it to Pawtucket,RI.

Supposedly there are already a few prospective customers looking to do business down there.

I'm curios to see what happens with the old Alco which has been dead on the Castle Island lead since last January.

by AM@BRT

Hey Conductor! Two sides to every story! Right?

We "owe tons of money" to CSX?

CSX has BILLED us "tons of money" for demurrage accrued over the years, most of which is WRONG! CSX is impossible to deal with regarding demurrage, as their records are terrible, so I finally gave up. I don't have time to waste on correcting CSX's records every month, and endlessly arguing back and forth.
Under Conrail we were EXEMPT from demurrage, as were all "Steelnet" operators, and CSX never bothered to notify us that that would no longer be the case under their ownership.

CSX also wanted nearly a half-million dollars per year in rent for the First Street Yard, NON-NEGOTIABLE. There is nothing that one can do on this property, related to rail transportation, which would make that kind of rent realistic! So if there really are any prospective tenants out there, they should be forwarned of what they are getting into.

CSX NEVER, as in NOT ONCE, brought us any work! In fact, their rate-structure and demurrage policies, in addition to long and unpredictable transit-times, cost us many opportunities. We just had a car that spent almost FOUR MONTHS in Avon, Indiana (Indianapolis) on its way to us. If I had not called CSX to get that car moving I bet it would still be there!

My two cents (rant, rave, snort).

by CSX Conductor

UNfortunately I re-call that car. :(

What about the engine?

Good to see alot of steel in Pawtucket the other day.

by mxdata

Alan, I can appreciate your experiences with CSX. I have had properly waybilled locomotives with correct clearance wires and outbound inspections, carrying correct AEI tags and reporting marks, spend several weeks standing still in Selkirk, New York and other locations. The CSX customer service representative in Jacksonville who handles the freight movement of locomotives being shipped on the system had to repeatedly intercede to expedite the movements.

However, another major railroad in the west has not been much better at the movement of customers' locomotives, sometimes sending them as much as 1500 miles in the wrong direction, and then correcting it with a complete reverse route move to origin rather than a rerouting, chewing up days and days in the process.

by CSX Conductor

So next time I see an MBTA loco in Selkirk I will try to hi-jack it if I have fresh power out of the Service Center. :wink: