• Boston & Maine "Bluebird" Gondolas?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Benjamin Maggi

My wife and I love the B&M's blue/black/white paint scheme, which I think is nicknamed the "bluebird" scheme. For a 7.25" gauge gondola I built, I am looking around and different paint schemes to do it up in. It is very loosely based on a 52' mill drop-center gondola. I saw a Lionel toy train model painted in blue with the "bluebird" colors, if not the exact scheme:
http://modeltrainhobbyist.com/lio27800.html

Did the B&M ever have blue gondolas painted like this? I know my model is already a stretch on being prototypical before being painted because I didn't base it on prototype plans, nor am I adding any more details then gondola side ribs and maybe a grab iron or to. It will be a riding car, plain and simple. However, if I were to paint it up like the Lionel car how far off the deep-end would I be?

Thanks!
  by mick

B&M never had any blue gondolas,they were all painted black. In 1974 the B&M purchased the 9000 series gondolas, these were painted orange with the Minuteman logo. Most were re-painted black (or Guilford grey) in the late 1980's.
  by Benjamin Maggi

Well, thanks for the information. It seemed like a strange color choice for a work gondola.
  by 3rdrail

Benjamin - Of course it's nice to be historically correct...but every model has it's flaws. (Did the B&M ever actually run on your layout tracks ?) If you enjoy the scheme and would gain enjoyment seeing it on your layout- paint it "Bluebird" ! (Then, three years from now, when a photo of a real one is located which debunks the old "didn't exist" theory, you will have had an extra three years of enjoyment out of the thing.) I just recently painted up an Alco FA A-A duo in Bluebird. Did they ever exist ? No. Guess what ? I don't care !
  by jbvb

During the McGinnis era, most of the B&M's 40-foot drop-bottom gons got sold/rebuilt/leased back. They came back painted black with a McGinnis BM herald on one end of the side. I seem to recall it was the fancy, 3-color version.