• Boston & Maine in the Four Seasons

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by FatNoah

Last night I browsed my DVR and noticed an espisode of "Trains and Locomotives" on RFD TV (on FIOS) was recorded and featured "Boston & Maine in the four seasons 1946-51 volume 1 - Summer & Fall." I'm sure others have seen this, but it had a lot of great footage of the Western Main and NH Main and featured E-7s, Pacifics, Moguls, Consolidations, The Flying Yankee, The Gull, The Mountaineer, The Kennebec(?) (2:05 running time Boston - Portland), etc. There was also a segment on upgrading the main to 115lb rail which was pretty fascinating.

My 2 year loved the trains and my wife loved the amount of footage showing Melrose, where we live. I never realized so many named trains passed through town, but I guess before passenger trains and Boston-based industries disappeared, there was quite a bit of traffic.

It also touched on some things discussed in this forum, such as specials to Rockingham Park. There's a great shot of 5 specials sporting white flags lined up at North Station, ready to cross the 4 bascule bridges and make their way to Rockingham Park.

I do have a couple questions about the video though. It mentions a roundhouse and engine yard at Wilmington. Any idea where this was? Similarly, there's a layover yard shown in Reading. Where was that?

Thanks!
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

I apologize in advance for ruining your happy home life with a new obsession, but I'm going to suggest that you look up the website of Maptech.com, go to their online historical topo maps, and look up the quadrangles for Reading and Wilmington. In both towns, the rail facilities were north of the passenger stations. The Wilmington facilities were in the vee formed by the main line and the Wildcat branch, and in Reading, they were a few hundred yards north of Reading station, on the west side of the tracks, at a location known then as Reading Highlands.

PBM
  by p42thedowneaster

Oh these are absolutely great!!
This is an excellent dvd to have! I'm planning on picking up a copy of the winter/spring version. The MEC Mountain Division film (which I have) is also a MUST-HAVE! Mr. Whitney left us some excellent footage...and props to the B&M historical society and heron rail video for preserving and publishing them! My daughter asks to watch one of them almost every day!
  by b&m 1566

I have both volumes one and two and they sure are great videos. I still need to pick up the one for the MEC Mt. Division though.