• Boeing LRV

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by mattster

Today I saw a Boeing on the Green Line and, later, I took one (not sure if it was the same one). I haven't seen one all semester before today... I thought they were retiring them completely soon.

by AznSumtinSumtin

The Boeings aren't completely retired. Breda stopped delivering the Type 8's. There isn't enough vehicles to run the entire Green Line system without the Boeings. We are still waiting for the MBTA to order more LRV's so the Boeings can be retired.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

mattster wrote:Today I saw a Boeing on the Green Line and, later, I took one (not sure if it was the same one). I haven't seen one all semester before today... I thought they were retiring them completely soon.
Boeings are still heavily used at rush hour, especially on the D-line (where they perform the best at high speeds of any car in the fleet, including Type 7's). Lately they've been providing almost half the D-line service on the A.M. rush, and trace amounts of C-line service as well.

I wouldn't expect that to change at all until the next car order starts rolling in, although the numbers may get pared back slightly when the last Bredas go into service and some of the modified Type 7's return back into service (quite a few of those are out for modifications right now). Non-rush hour service is almost exclusively Type 7 and Type 8 serviced, as it should be. Confining the Boeings' service hours to just the A.M. and P.M. rushes may keep them from breaking down as often as they're known to.

Watch for more of them in the dead of winter. The Type 7 fleet has responded poorly the last few years to extreme cold snaps and heavy snow, so the LRV's inevitably get pressed into more service as the Kinkis' disabled numbers swell.

by AEM7AC920

I'm anxious to see how those breda's will do this winter; they have been getting some modifications in an attempt to improve reliability so I think the winter will be a good test for them

by mattster

How many Bredas haven't been put into service?

I understand the need to be handicap-accesible, but I like the Type 7s the most. I always get thrown around on the Bredas... and they're not too aesthetically pleasing.

by pdxstreetcar

I hope Seashore Trolley Museum plans to get their hands on one of those spare Boeings. They may be lemons but they are too important to pass over.

by jwhite07

The MBTA had set aside LRV 3444 for Seashore, but apparently the museum no longer wants it!

by Robert Paniagua

The MBTA had set aside LRV 3444 for Seashore, but apparently the museum no longer wants it!

Then that LRV 3444 should be used for Ashmont-Mattapan service, as the LRVs to Mattapan is being discussed in another thread, 3444 IMHO is a good candidate to go serve Mattapan-Ashmont.

See my post in Otto's Article on Mattapan Line thread about LRVs in use at Mattapan.

by AEM7AC920

mattster wrote:How many Bredas haven't been put into service?

I understand the need to be handicap-accesible, but I like the Type 7s the most. I always get thrown around on the Bredas... and they're not too aesthetically pleasing.
There are about 47 total that the T took before they stopped the contract. I would say 4 or 5 of them aren't running either from derailmant damage (3807), not being accepted, or OOS for the modification program that they are going through.

by #5 - Dyre Ave

AEM7AC920 wrote:
mattster wrote:How many Bredas haven't been put into service?

There are about 47 total that the T took before they stopped the contract. I would say 4 or 5 of them aren't running either from derailmant damage (3807), not being accepted, or OOS for the modification program that they are going through.
Only 47 Type 8's? That's not even half the order. I'm definitely not a fan of the T8's - I've gotten thrown around on them too, while carrying groceries no less. Yes, they're ugly. What was Pininfarina thinking when they designed these trolleys? They design beautiful cars - but these things are ugly ducklings. And they don't seem to handle the extremely heavy crowds on the B line very well - that may be more the fault of the people who are too lazy to climb two steps to get to the high-floor section of the trolleys. So they all congreagate in low-floor section, making that section of the trolleys impossible to get through. That's bad for people with disabilities who need to be in that area.

by MBTA1

#5 - Dyre Ave...

I have always agreed with you. They are the ugliest light rail cars on the face of the planet. On top of that they are litterally pieces of crap. They never seem to work, in fact I now refuse to ride them and will sit or stand at a stop and wait for a non - type 8. It's a good thing I don't live along the B Line.

by AEM7AC920

MBTA1 wrote:#5 - Dyre Ave...

I have always agreed with you. They are the ugliest light rail cars on the face of the planet. On top of that they are litterally pieces of crap. They never seem to work, in fact I now refuse to ride them and will sit or stand at a stop and wait for a non - type 8. It's a good thing I don't live along the B Line.
Speaking of them not working, can someone please tell me what they are doing to the things in the modification program and is it working? I haven't been on the green lines for over 4 months and everytime i ride a breda down the B line, i fall asleep because they are too darn slow. The T needs to go after Breda or do something....

by MBTA1

Please.

Breda denies any and all faults for the poor quality of the cars. I've heard the argument to "sue" Breda, but it's never gone through (to my knowladge). Maybe the best thing was to just hault the order.

by AEM7AC920

I forgot about the dead lock that the T and Breda were at.... Breda is pointing the finger at the T and the T is pointing the finger at Breda... Aside from the derailments, the cars still are not reliable, so that issue should of been on breda to fix. They should of came with some kind of warrenty to fix the technical problems with the computers etc.