• Boeing LRV repaint to orange and cream?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by JTDieffen

On my way to work this morning I noticed one of the Boeings in fresh paint outside the Reservoir shops. Not only was it surprising to see new paint on one of the old LRVs (since I don't think they've seen a fresh coat since the 90's), but it was wearing the old MTA orange and cream colors that the PCCs wear. It hadn't receive it's markings yet (apparently), but was pretty sharp looking in those colors. Does anyone know the status/reason for this? It caught me a little by surprise.

by aline1969

would this not confuse people just like they claimed with the Flyer being painted that scheme??? What the heck....

by octr202

Good point ALine...I'm sure that they'll think its the Orange Line when it pulls in to Newton Highlands. (please add all appropriate sarcasm)

Perhaps its being repainted for a special event of some kind, which will probably be cancelled, and then the car will be repainted back to green and white in a month or so. Oh, wait, I was channelling the recent history of trackless trolley 4049... :wink:

by typesix

Well it wouldn't be the first time. The test LRV that Boeing had running on the Green back in 1975? was wearing San Francisco colors just like that Malden condo ad showing MUNI LRVs instead of the real Orange line.

by sery2831

That is LRV 3448, which has been converted into a work car. It checks the profile of the tracks, I think this is a product of the T fighting with Breda. It's supposed to be based at Riverside, but I heard a rumor it might live at Reservior. I find it odd that they allowed it to be painted in that scheme, at the same time they wont allow a trackless painted that way!!! That's management for yah :-)

by octr202

sery2831 wrote:That is LRV 3448, which has been converted into a work car. It checks the profile of the tracks, I think this is a product of the T fighting with Breda. It's supposed to be based at Riverside, but I heard a rumor it might live at Reservior. I find it odd that they allowed it to be painted in that scheme, at the same time they wont allow a trackless painted that way!!! That's management for yah :-)
Maybe work equipment can be painted that way, but remember, we can't have passengers riding orange and cream vehicles.*

*Some restrictions apply. Offer not valid in Dorchester or Mattapan.

by MBTA1

I was looking online and noticed that 3420 is now out of service. Does anyone know why that particular car was pulled out? And were any other cars (not including cars previously out of service, or cars 3420/3448) pulled out of service?

by WRMcI

Unfortunately, I'm in London at the time, because otherwise I would post a pic. Would one of you fine transit-minded citizens like to take a photograph?

(Sorry, I've been told by my boss to use fancy language in this stupid report i'm writing, and now all i can type or say is in fancy language.)

by Otto Vondrak

Picture? I want to see an orange and cream LRV.

by Robert Paniagua

Maybe work equipment can be painted that way, but remember, we can't have passengers riding orange and cream vehicles.*

Well, there are Orange & Cream Cars I ride on and most of you. Those are the Hawkers (012/1300s) on the Orange Line. And they are a bit better than the LRVs too.

by jwhite07

Robert Paniagua wrote:Well, there are Orange & Cream Cars I ride on and most of you. Those are the Hawkers (012/1300s) on the Orange Line.
No, it's not orange and cream, and it never was. It's orange and white, or what used to be white but is now dingy gray because the cars aren't washed nearly enough.

by Robert Paniagua

No, it's not orange and cream, and it never was. It's orange and white, or what used to be white but is now dingy gray because the cars aren't washed nearly enough.

To me, they looked cream, but as you said, they haven't been super-washed to make it look the bright white the 012/1300s are supposed to be, rather than dingy gray, which I don't like.

by DLahey

I was standing on the outbound platform at Kenmore this morning at 11:30am when I saw the orange/cream LRV go around from the inbound C/D tracks around the loop and go back up the outbound C/D tracks really slowly. I got a good view inside. It appears as though the inside is largely intact with seats and all, but there were where about 6 or so people inside with maps or diagrams of some kind. The outside looks pretty spiffy...What exactly is this car's role? I read previously that is was for some kind of track alignment, but is there more to it?

by octr202

NETransit lists as a "Rail Profile Test Car" converted in 2005 (as we already knew). Sounds like it has something to do with the new focus on rail profile/rail grinding ever since the Type 8 saga began.

by CJ

jwhite07 wrote:It's orange and white, or what used to be white but is now dingy gray because the cars aren't washed nearly enough.
They wash the cars!?!?

Heh, but seriously, the #1 problem is that the entire fleet is always DIRTY, even during the summer when it rains, there still dirty!!