• Blue Train to be Privatized

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by David Benton

thanks for that John . Good to hear trains are holding in there in South Africa . Starting to look very tempting to me to make a trip over , as i havent been to southern Africa . Thats if i ignore work and mortgage comitments !

by johnthefireman

David, trains are indeed holding in here, although old-timers tell me that the railway scene is not as good as it used to be. The passenger tour and charter business has suffered a bit recently as coaches and motive power are no longer so easily available from Spoornet due to their concentration on their core business of freight.

But Rovos owns its own coaches and I am told they will be running 27 trains during the month of August alone. Heritage rail associations such as Friends of the Rail (my own club, based in Pretoria) and Germiston-based Reefsteamers have their own locos and coaches and are able to run a lot of steam trains for the local and overseas markets. We've hosted overseas railfans on two occasions this year with one more group coming in September, and Reefsteamers ran a very successful steam safari earlier this year. Tour groups tend to travel round the country and spend a couple of days with each operator to experience steam operating in different environments amidst South Africa's spectacular scenery. This month we entertained a small group of hard-core railfans with a 24-hour "shed experience" where they had the opportunity to stay with us in the shed as we prepared our loco for their trip the following day. They were particularly impressed with the coaling operation - there are probably few places in the world where a steam loco is still coaled from a genuine original very large coaling stage.

And while the concentration on freight is disappointing for the passenger industry, it opens up whole new vistas for railfans, as I believe happened in the USA. We are seeing new classes of locomotive appearing in South Africa, and some impressively long and heavy trains running through beautiful scenery often on steep gradients.

by johnthefireman

I've just done a couple of trips on Premier Classe and I've posted a short report on our South African rail forum at http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... =108&t=721

On the steam front, double-headed Rovos Rail trains with a pair of 25NCs or a 19D and a 25NC are still an almost daily sight on the main line around Pretoria, and last weekend Friends of the Rail had a double-header with a 24 and a 19D. Photos and reports of some of these can also be found on the forum.