• Blue Line or Silver Line to Logan Airport

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by number1tfan

Since the silver line has been built now, will the blue line not be as used as often for airport service? This is a little survey I'm asking.
  • Would you rather take the blue line or the silver line to the airport?
Last edited by number1tfan on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by FatNoah

Right now, I'm coming from Charles/MGH, so Red Line / Silver line it is. Now if the blue were extended to Charles/MGH, it would be a different story! :)

by sabourinj

FatNoah wrote:Right now, I'm coming from Charles/MGH, so Red Line / Silver line it is. Now if the blue were extended to Charles/MGH, it would be a different story! :)
Yea unless you are coming/going somewhere near the blue line, the silver line is the way to go. Service is frequent and it's so much easier to get your luggate on the silver line busses than the blue line shuttle!

JS

by WonderlandMan

Blue line. Probably because I'm 10 mins from Wonderland (walking distance). And like a 1 minute drive.

by StevieC48

Ill tell you the truth if there is no back up in the Teddie I like the Silver line it drops you right at your terminal and there is no switching to a shuttle bus. 1/2 dozen one 1/2 dozen the other

by Leo Sullivan

I have to go to the Airport frequently and have found that from inner Green Line stations there isn't much time difference. In fact, for terminals C &E the Blue Line route is faster but, I take the silver line anyway as, the direct to terminals service is too convenient. I suspect this would be the same for Red Line patrons even if the Charles street connection were built. It would still involve two changes against one by Silver Line. There are probably a lot better uses for a Billion dollars.
LS

by TomNelligan

I normally reach downtown Boston via a bus connection to the Red Line, so I'm another one who has switched from the Blue Line to the bendy electro-buses to get to the airport. If they could only eliminate that slow loop through Silver Line Way and change power mode somewhere else -- or better yet string wires to the airport :-) -- it would be even faster.

by danib62

I still take the blue line from to the airport. I live out in Brookline so I take the green line C so either way it's two transfers. It's either green to blue to the shuttle bus or green to red to silver. And if I take the blue line I don't have worry about traffic in the Ted Williams tunnel!

by CSX Conductor

I too live close to the Blue Line, but mainly would take the Blue Line more because of the fact that the couple times I took the Silver line it seemed to take forever. Late at night with no traffic in the Ted Williams and still took 25 minutes from South Station to Logan. :(

by Ron Newman

I live in Davis Square. I now take the Silver Line because it means just one transfer instead of three. Even if the Silver Line is slower, which I don't think it is, it's much more convenient for me.

by octr202

As someone coming from the Red Line (either off the 73 at Harvard, or from the office at Kendall), the Silver Line usually wins, except in certain circumstances:

- Peak hour trips when I don't have much luggage, as the Blue Line and Massport shuttles will get stuck in less traffic.

- Going to term. C & E without much luggage, or when I suspect there will be heavy traffic at Logan, giving the Silver Line buses trouble getting around the airport. however, since the changes to the T station and Logan roadways, the ride from the Blue Line to Term. C has to be the most maddening experience. (The reverse is true of leaving Term . A during heavy traffic times...might not want to sit on the SL1 all the way around the airport.)

- Peak holiday times at Logan (like the last afternoon workday before a holiday weekend, esp. when colleges are in session, as you can arrive at South Station and find the SL1's jammed to capacity with people trying to get to Logan for the exodus. Ten minutes is a long time to wait for the next bus with space on it when you're trying to catch a flight.

Having just arrived back from BWI last night, after using their rental car facility (consolidated facility with all rental car companies and one single airport-operated shuttle), that is the number one low-cost (as opposed to high cost of something like a people-mover loop) strategy Logan needs to employ to reduce traffic congestion on the lower roadways. Eliminating the multitude of seperate rental car shuttle vans and mini-buses in favor of one Massport shuttle to a central rental car garage would be a good start -- might make life easier for T riders on Blue Line shuttles and SL1. But then again, Massport doesn't seem to put too much priority on transit riders at Logan -- they aren't interested in people they don't make money off of...