• Blue Line extended to Lynn/Salem.

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by theseaandalifesaver

it would be wicked cool, but those that are familiar with Revere know that is there is almost no room to extend the line.

how would they do it?

by njtmnrrbuff

I think before the Blue Line is extended to Lynn, it should be extended from Bowdein to Cambridge let's say.

by WonderlandMan

The blue line should at least be moved down the street from bowdoin to terminate at Charles MGH, providing a connection to the red line. Then up to Lynn.

by GP40MC 1116

WonderlandMan wrote:The blue line should at least be moved down the street from bowdoin to terminate at Charles MGH, providing a connection to the red line. Then up to Lynn.

Well how would you do that exactly, have the blue line stop under the Charles MGH stop?

by SbooX

GP40MC 1116 wrote:
WonderlandMan wrote:The blue line should at least be moved down the street from bowdoin to terminate at Charles MGH, providing a connection to the red line. Then up to Lynn.

Well how would you do that exactly, have the blue line stop under the Charles MGH stop?
Yes. Thats exactly the plan. In fact, part of the reason for the design chosen for Charles/MGH is that it would allow for a direct connection. Its on the T's website if you read some of the docs about the possible designs for Charles.

Of course, the T has stated many times that they have no interest in fulfilling the promise they made to extend the Blue line to Charles.

by CJ

The funny part is (in my eyes atleast, though I would LOVE to see Arborway back in its glory)

If the T said "We will do the red-blue, but no arborway"

To Me atleast, it would seem ALOT cheaper to cut+cover a few hundred yards down the street, vs re-establishing the rest of the E line

Not to mention, it would alievate (sp) alot of traffic going through park and downtown crossing, putting a direct connect..

I saw this on the news a few days back, as they explained it, the lynn extension (which would be nice dont get me wrong) as well as some CR extensions (fall river and springfield iirc) would get started in a few years.

by Pete

CJ wrote:To Me atleast, it would seem ALOT cheaper to cut+cover a few hundred yards down the street, vs re-establishing the rest of the E line
Are you sure? Low estimates for Arborway are $50-60 million. High end estimates have been $90-100 million. (The discrepancy derives from the inclusion in the higher figures of costs incurred whether the project happens or not, like vehicle purchase and street reconstruction). That's pretty cheap for a transit project. Compare to the $750 million estimate for Silver Line Phase III.

I haven't heard anyone discuss the Red-Blue cost, but I'll bet it's not "a lot cheaper" than the Arborway line.

by CSX Conductor

Springfield CR extension would not be worth it. Too much single-iron, not enough revenue, too much dead-heading of equipment. :( Driving the Mass.Pike or taking the Peter Pan still better for commuters, sorry. :(

by CJ

Dont shoot the messanger! Im just repeatin what I heard on the news, it was on WHDH about a week ago, but like I said, I cant find a source at all.

The Blue - > Red would probably cost a bit more, but I think the increased revenue would offset it (I think), but im no expert!

Ill see if I can find a source, but I dont know If I can!

Here is the jist of the report:

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/05 ... region.htm

I only remember it, as they had graphics etc, caught my eye!

by trainhq

Well, I think is all well and good. It's obvious everybody wants CR, and nobody can get it funded. If these people can get the state to commit to it, that would be great. I think the Springfield portion is kind of a stretch; it was just tossed in to get some western legislators to vote for it. It's also in the National Corridors
newsletter. Still, it's become clear that the legislature will have to just decide to raise money to do it, and just do it, otherwise it will never happen

by Reddy Rocker

I thihnk the Lynn extension will happen before the Red/Blue connector. In addition, when (and if) the RB connector at Charles-MGH is created, I would only use it to go toward Cambridge during the morning hours or toward Ashmont/Braintree during the afternoon rush hour if necessary. In the morning, I would still go Red-Graan-Blue or Red-Orange-Blue to go toward JFK/UMass because if I tried to board the Red Line southbound at Charles-MGH, I probably wouldn't even be able to get on the overcrowded train, never mind breathing. My observation is that most of the Cambridge/Somerville folk get off at Park Street anyway.

In short, I still think the RB connector is a good idea, but I'd only use it if my desired direction is opposite of the rush hour, or during off peak hours.

This is solely my opinion and others may think differently.

by octr202

Well, one major point of pairing the Red-Blue with a Lynn extension is to finally provide a good connection from largely residential areas in East Boston and Revere and Lynn with the numerous jobs available at MGH, as well as the some 100,000 odd jobs in Cambridge alone. Right now its a pretty tough sell to convince a non-railfan to put up with a three seat ride thru the heart of the congestion in downtown.

Ideally, the Silver Line would have provided a shortcut south for folks going from the Blue Line to the southern red Line, but unfortunately that hasn't panned out.