• Blue Line Cars delayed again??

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CJ

Well, im going to ASSUME they were delayed again, simply put over @ NETRANSIT, its listed as "summer 2006" now, vs April, not to mention that they have been delayed how many times now? (more than I can count it seems)

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!
CJ

by hynespb

That sucks. Lol i am really eager to see them. I love new cars. Will these be just blue line, or could some end up fit for orange line duty?

by Robert Paniagua

I asked a few motorpersonnel crews for the Blue Line, they say next year they'll come.

And the Blue line will be the Only line getting those new cars, the Red and Orange will continue with their existing fleet.

by McTed

The current delivery plan is still slotted for late August / early September 2006 for the first married pair.

The first pair will be delivered to the Orange line only for testing purposes to speed up the acceptance process on the Orange line test track. When the testing is completed the pilot pair will be moved to the Blue Line.

As for now all the #5 cars are slotted to be used on the Blue line only this is because they will be needed once the Blue line converts to six car trains.

by CJ

McTed wrote:The current delivery plan is still slotted for late August / early September 2006 for the first married pair.

The first pair will be delivered to the Orange line only for testing purposes to speed up the acceptance process on the Orange line test track. When the testing is completed the pilot pair will be moved to the Blue Line.

As for now all the #5 cars are slotted to be used on the Blue line only this is because they will be needed once the Blue line converts to six car trains.
Ahh, so there will (if my math is right) be about 15 full trainsets of the #5 cars (upon full delivery)?

Wish they would come sooner, I look out my window every day @ the OH barn, but nothing new (yet!)

Thanks!
CJ

by mattster

McTed wrote:The current delivery plan is still slotted for late August / early September 2006 for the first married pair.

Can you confirm whether or not the bodies will be completely painted? I want to see some nice gleaming steel this summer! :-D

by 7 to Main St

Wasn't it supposed to be a steel body with a blue strip like the newer red line cars?

by MACTRAXX

Everyone: When the T receives all the new Blue Line cars are the '79 vintage cars going to be retired? The Boston rapid transit lines are unique in America in that the equipment for each line is generally not compatible with another lines equipment. I realize that Blue line cars can be tested on the Orange line,though. MACTRAXX

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

orange line test track? where is that?

by jwhite07

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: When the T receives all the new Blue Line cars are the '79 vintage cars going to be retired?
Not all of them. 18 0600s must be retained in service until 2012. I believe it has to do with a sale/leaseback financing arrangement on that particular group of cars.
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:orange line test track? where is that?
It's the third track that runs from Wellington to Sullivan Square (used to go all the way to Community College, but is out of service past Sullivan).
  by trolleyguy

Just wondering whether or not the new Blue Line Cars will be able to be "MU'd" (mixed into the same train with) the present fleet of 0600's? In other words, are the two sets of trains designed to be compatible with each other?

by Robert Paniagua

Nope, the 0600s and 0700s will NOT be able to trainline with each other, since the 0600s have no AC traction motors and the 0700s will do, I'm not sure if it's gonna be 3-way or 4-way traction motors, but in any event, the 0600s and 0700s will not be able to run together except for rescue towing.

FYI the 0600s never ran with 0500s with passengers except for rescue towing. Those didn't trainline either.