• BL-15 #50 - Repower

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Clearfield

MACTRAXX wrote:I thought that the Summer 2002 Rail Power Project replacing all wires in the 30th Street Station - Suburban Station area would result in
increased overhead clearances - instead I believe the same clearances were kept-precluding the use of F40 units through the CC Tunnel...
Unfortunately, raising the clearances everywhere on the railroad won't fix the clearance problems that were 'designed' into the tunnels. There's just no room to raise the cat in some areas without undercutting the track bed.

This is the same reason we can't upgrade to 25KV - the 25KV insulators are larger (longer) and the cat clearance would be even lower than it is now.

I'm sure that during design, an engineer calculated the additional cost to raise the cat one inch throughout the tunnel project. Multiply that number by the number of inches we would need and the cost goes way up. Hindight is ALWAYS 20/20
  by NorthPennLimited

I was in Massachusetts this weekend and got a glimpse of the new HSP-46's on the "T". The profile on those new locomotives look much lower than the F40PH and MP36, But I can't find a spec sheet with their official dimensions.

I guess once MBTA gets their new fleet of HSP's delivered and accepted into revenue service, the older F40's will start hitting the after market?

I'm curious if a HSP-46 would fit through the tunnel in Philadelphia without any modifications to the locomotive or the tunnel infrastructure.
  by ex Budd man

Diesel 50 will be coming back as a 1200hp gen set similar to 70. Two 600hp Cummins diesels will replace the 1500hp Caterpillar prime mover, and a new air compressor (screw type) is also like diesel 70. It was proposed to reconfigure it as a center cab but that was dropped.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Regardless if the new HSP locomotives can fit into the CCCT, it's a mootless point since diesels aren't allowed to run in the tunnel in regular service since there's no exhaust and ventalation system. Work trains are allowed thru but that's only if the route is lined up and no stopping and if stopping has to be made and is longer then x amount of time, the engine needs to be shut down. I believe we should get back to the discussion at hand.
  by Clearfield

This is the 35th post in this thread. Think we beat it to death yet?
  by Silverliner II

ex Budd man wrote:
25Hz wrote:Lee me ask this then.... is it due for an emissions upgrade?
That was the reason why it was sent out, we got federal money to make it more emissions friendly. The down side is the prime mover must be destroyed as part of the deal. Its a shame, it could have been used to up-grade the 60 or 61 to 1500 hp. If prior history repeats we should have lots of fun (trouble) getting it to run as intended once its on property.
They should have taken 52 for the upgrade since it had never been rebuilt since SEPTA got it....
  by Clearfield

Clearfield wrote:This is the 35th post in this thread. Think we beat it to death yet?
Guess not........... :-)
  by NorthPennLimited

Almost 3 years and still no sign of diesel 50. The EPA tier III engine being installed under the hood might be obsolete if they can't get her off the assembly line by the end of this month.

I found this Frankenstein EMD switcher on Chattahoochee Locomotive Corporation's website.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by glennk419

NorthPennLimited wrote:Almost 3 years and still no sign of diesel 50. The EPA tier III engine being installed under the hood might be obsolete if they can't get her off the assembly line by the end of this month.

I found this Frankenstein EMD switcher on Chattahoochee Locomotive Corporation's website.
Man, that IS one ugly beast.
  by NorthPennLimited

Diesel 50 is on the way home via Norfolk Southern's Morrisville Yard

Not sure if they will do a second hand-off with CSX at Woodbourne and pay the extra handling fee, or get it themselves at Morrisville yard via the NEC at Morris Interlocking.
  by ex Budd man

Engine 50 arrived at Wayne Junction Wednesday afternoon. There is no model designation as to what type (SW1500, BL15...ect.) yet. A quick look shows a large housing on the engineman's side in front of the windshield. This contains the air compressor. The two exhaust stacks would look right at home on a John Deere tractor. It is a genset like #70, two power plants under the hood. Time will tell whether we bought another lemon ala 60-61.
  by ChemiosMurphy

Any word on how #50 is performing?
  by NorthPennLimited

One of the conductors told me it went out for a test run after Halloween, broke down at Fern Rock, and has been parked at Wayne Junction shop ever since. But officially it's waiting for a PTC retrofit.

Those SEPTA Gen-sets are really living up to their reputation of being "green".

50 and 70 sit in the shop most of the year waiting for parts or repairs and hardly burn any fuel or create exhaust emissions. They are great for the environment!