Railroad Forums 

• Billerica & Bedford question

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#999893  by Red Wing

I was passing the Rogers St. crossing in Billerica the other day and I saw a couple of pieces of mow equipment and ties on the line. At the High St. crossing I've noticed a tree that's been across the tracks since Irene. Anyone know if this line is going to be used more.
 #1000025  by newpylong

I take the train into Boston from N Billerica for work everyday and I also noticed this. At first I thought maybe they were just stashing them there at Rogers because it's easy to get a vehicle in for pickup. When I looked closer I noticed that ties actually had been replaced right there it looked like... I will see if I can find out more.
 #1000271  by newpylong

The line is coming back.. new customer at the west/south end of Iron Horse park. They are trying to get it done by ground freeze. Will let you know if I find out who/where exactly the customer is.
 #1000286  by b&m 1566

This is the former Lexington Branch correct?
 #1000308  by Teamdriver

newpylong wrote:The line is coming back.. new customer at the west/south end of Iron Horse park. They are trying to get it done by ground freeze. Will let you know if I find out who/where exactly the customer is.

Was this where the former Purity Supreme warehouse was?
 #1000311  by Irish2417

Teamdriver wrote:
newpylong wrote:The line is coming back.. new customer at the west/south end of Iron Horse park. They are trying to get it done by ground freeze. Will let you know if I find out who/where exactly the customer is.

Was this where the former Purity Supreme warehouse was?

They already have a customer that they deliver to at the site of the old Purity Supreme Warehouse (Seigel Egg).
 #1000340  by newpylong

If you look at Bing Maps or Google earth, count 3 sidings in from the B&B... I think that one is Siegel Egg and looks active. The first two do not look active, perhaps one of them is the one being reactivated.
 #1000371  by TomNelligan

This is the former Lexington Branch correct?
An extension of it, yes. The B&M Cambridge-Lexington-Bedford branch that lasted until the Red Line extension killed the last of it split at Bedford station, with one line going to West Concord and the other to Billerica. The Bedford-Billerica segment was originally built by a predecessor company as two foot narrow gauge.
 #1000821  by Red Wing

I remember around "94 or so the switches into the yard were replaced. I don't remember any activity on the line between then and now though. I wonder how far down the line they would will be going? I wouldn't expect them to go past Salem St. Also I saw the line was cleared of brush around High St.
 #1000930  by newpylong

The line is still in service to 129/Floyd St (I think the rails are paved over here?) and you need to pull past Salem Street if you have more than a few cars to make the turn into the shops.

I will check out Salem and 129 Monday and report back...

I don't know if anyone rides the Lowell Line here but the main shop entrance is still pretty well flooded, especially the north lead. The south lead is passable but I wonder if this could have something to do with them wishing to have another entrance (via the B&B)... i will see what I can find.
 #1001262  by newpylong

Believe me, portions of the crossing are paved over. Take a closer look.

I took a drive by Salem St today, doesnt appear they have cleared or replaced down to the switches yet.