• Bethlehem passenger stations

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Bobby S

I am a bit confused. I have seen some pics depicting the joint Reading and Lehigh Valley station on some personal websites that I have looked up showing the RDC's in their last days stopping there. I have also come across Bethlehem Union station. Is this the same station or were they two different ones? Hard to tell from the pics I have seen. Anyone?

by RDG-LNE

Bethlehem Union Station was a joint facility owned by the RDG and LV. The LV ran east-west in front of the station along the river and the RDG ran north-south along the west side of it. The RDG crossed over the LV to get to the north shore of the Lehigh River to joing the CNJ. The CNJ had its own Bethlehem station which was much more ornate when compared to the LV-RDG facility.

Drew

by glennk419

Both stations survive today, have been refurbished and can been seen from the Hill to Hill Bridge, (Rt 378) on opposite sides of the Lehigh River. The LV/RDG Union Station building is now owned by St Lukes Hospital and is an outpatient center. The NS tracks (ex-LV) still run iin front of the station, the ex-RDG tracks are sadly gone. You can see a picture of a portion of the station here: http://jrevans.fbody.com/beth_11042005/. The CNJ station still has the original tracks in front of it but they end approximately 200 yards east of the station. You can often see CP power tied up there.

by Bobby S

What bridge is that behind the station? I mean hospital!!

by metman499

That would be the Hill to Hill Bridge. The Fahy Bridge is next, followed by the Minsi (sp?) Trail Bridge.

by glennk419

glennk419 wrote:Both stations survive today, have been refurbished and can been seen from the Hill to Hill Bridge, (Rt 378) on opposite sides of the Lehigh River.
Testing...1,2..1,2. :wink:

by Irish Chieftain

The NS tracks (ex-LV) still run iin front of the station, the ex-RDG tracks are sadly gone
The diamond for the RDG was still laying on the side of the tracks a while back. There's still signals on the ROW in front of the "hospital". Only positive is the continued existence of the ROW, although if that insipid "greenway" idea goes through, it'd be as hard to reactivate for pax service as a "rail-trail". (Used to be able to catch a train to Washington DC from Bethlehem Union Station at one time, too.)

by metman499

According to a city official that was on a tour of Beth Steel as well as a few other Bethlehem locations, the city is aware that it would be difficult to restore service on the greenway and would only have it go as far as a station near I-78. It doesn't make much sense to me but I only rely on public transportation to get around.

by Irish Chieftain

Bethlehem's mayor John Callahan is no friend to passenger rail when he makes sweeping statements claiming that such service for the Lehigh Valley is "decades away". It's needed now, to be utterly frank. The only two interstates in the area are I-78 and I-476, and they are already strained to the breaking point, never mind the state roads.

by glennk419

Irish Chieftain wrote:
The NS tracks (ex-LV) still run iin front of the station, the ex-RDG tracks are sadly gone
The diamond for the RDG was still laying on the side of the tracks a while back. There's still signals on the ROW in front of the "hospital". Only positive is the continued existence of the ROW, although if that insipid "greenway" idea goes through, it'd be as hard to reactivate for pax service as a "rail-trail". (Used to be able to catch a train to Washington DC from Bethlehem Union Station at one time, too.)
Irish,

Amazingly, the diamonds are STILL there as of three weeks ago, along with the remains of the eastbound turnout. The turnout connecting with the RDG tracks is also still in place, albeit 90% buried. Your other points are also very well taken.