• Best EMD Locomotive

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by trainmaster_1

Well I'm surprised that no one has posted anything about their favourite locomotive that EMD (GMDD) has built during EMD's time span of locomotive building.....so I will go with the SD40-2......It's looks, sounds and power really impress me alot...gotta love those units. SD40-2's win it hands down. :D

by AmtrakFan

I think it was the SD40-2 they are still running in the US and Canada also in Mexico their still running.

AmtrakFan

by caboose

GP38-2,HANDS DOWN!!!! :P

by Joe

Is there such thing as a good EMD locomotive? :D Just kidding! I'd have to say DDA40X.

by Justin B

Sheesh... thats like asking me which one of my children I love the most!

I really like the sound of the 38 series, but as the best locomotive design it has to be the SD/GP40-2.
  by Allen Hazen

We're looking for the "best" from the point of view of a railroad operating them. (Wecould be looking forbestfrom a railfan's point of view, but that would get us into too many subjective, aesthetic, issues ... and some of us like things just because they are downright quirky!)
So... Criteria.
(i) Introduced in 1954 or later: we wnat something with a 567C or later version of the EMD engine: it took that long to fully debug the design.
(ii) Hood unit. Outside North America, where axle loadings aremore of a concern, the boxcab or truss frame design allows for lighter weight locomotives, but in North America the railroads voted with their purchasing dollars for what they thought was most useful.
(iii) Probably a "second iteration" of any technological advance: early turbo-567 units were problematic (some GP-20 were de-turbo'ed by around 1970), the 40-series had enough defects that after a half-dozen years they underwent a major design revision to get the Dash-2 series.
---
Sales statistics ought to be an indication of what the professionals thought. Which would suggest the GP-9, the GP38-2, the SD40-2, and the SD70 as candidates.

by Trackmobile

The GP40-2.They can work out on the mainline one day and work that branch the next day. :P :P

by crazy_nip

SD40-2

there is no question...

the GP40-2 and 38-2 are great too

its a shame there wont ever be anything close to them again

by ENR3870

The GMD-1 has to be my favorite.

by MR77100

If I were to rate the most successful locomotive from EMD, I would have to say the SD40/SD40-2. It was the locomotive that spun off many other successful models, and I many are still going strong today, including the original demonstrator on IC!

by EMD455

My Favorite:

by SRS125

I would have to say that GP9's are a nice little unit.

by Wdobner

Why not EMD's most powerful locomotive? The GM10B! It's too bad these never made it to serial production...

by shortlinerailroader

How does that go down the track? Does the center truck swivel while the end ones swivel and move laterally?

Best Locomotive....EVER--see sig
  by Allen Hazen

This is from memory, and it's been a LONG time.
I think the end trucks have fixed center pivots, and the middle truck is allowed some lateral motion. Counterintuitive if you think of a steam locomotive whose pilot and trailing trucks can move side to side but whose drivers are more or less fixed to the frame (actually, many modern steam locomotives allowed some lateral motion for some driving axles), but I guess it minimizes the excursions of the couplers away from track center, so probably improves locomotive/train dynamics.