• BERy Trivia / Seashore Trivia

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Gerry6309

highgreen215 wrote:There was an earlier Valentine's Day blizzard around 1946 or so. I was around 10 years old - my piano teacher spent the night in a Type 5 in Roslindale Square.
The story sounds legit. The year isn't.
  by blackcap

How about 2003?
  by Gerry6309

blackcap wrote:How about 2003?
Nobody spent the night in a Type 5 in Roslindale Sq. in 2003.
  by blackcap

Oops, my bad...
  by blackcap

It would have to be in the 1922-1959 period then...
  by Gerry6309

blackcap wrote:It would have to be in the 1922-1959 period then...
Let's narrow it a little further. The last cars ran to Roslindale Square in 1953!
  by Gerry6309

I give up. There have been too many "Blizzards" in recent years.

THE ST. VALENTINE'S DAY BLIZZARD of 1940 brought the city to a standstill. Forty Type 3 plows couldn't handle the volume of snow that fell in only a few hours. BERy crews had to dig out almost 600 streetcars by hand. Some were trapped by stalled autos, but the majority were paralyzed by the snowfall. Unlike the recent storms it was the heavy wet stuff, which then froze solid. Google the date for a Globe article, or check out the Forties Book by Bradley Clarke and the BSRA. My Aunt was working at City Hospital and got trapped in the tie-up, and would tell the story to anyone who would care to listen.

The story about being trapped in Roslindale Sq. was right for the event, only the date was six years off. It stood as the standard for 38 years, until we got nailed on Feb 6, 1978. Since then that storm, which saw most MBTA vehicles stuck in their carhouses and garages after the evening rush, has been the standard bearer.
  by Gerry6309

Here is a people question.

Here are the first names of the eight young men who bought car 31 1n 1939.

Fill in the last names:

John E. ______________
Horton K. _______________
Charles A. ________________
Thomas F. ________________
Gerald F. ________________
Lucien B. ________________
Theodore F. ________________
Daniel W. ________________

Two other early members who were well known:

Henry Bowen _______________
Alexander van Cortland _____________

No lost credit for mis-spelling if it sounds right.
  by Gerry6309

sery2831: feel free to answer some of these.
  by Gerry6309

Here is a people question.

Here are the first names of the eight young men who bought car 31 1n 1939.

Fill in the last names:

John E. Amlaw
Horton K. Banks
Charles A. Brown
Thomas F. Brown
Gerald F. Cunningham
Lucien B. Phinney
Theodore F. Santarelli de Brasch
Daniel W. Twoomey

Two other early members who were well known:

Henry Bowen Brainerd
Alexander van Cortland Hamilton
I am shocked that nobody knew any of these! Amlaw and Hamilton held the organization together through World War II. Seven of the eight founders were still members in the 1970s, and I got to know several, including Santarelli and Amlaw well. These men were responsible for creating the preservation movement. All have now passed, but several of their sons are still active Seashore members.
  by sery2831

Gerry6309 wrote:sery2831: feel free to answer some of these.
My bad! I honestly have been behind in reading some these threads. I just got to this now!
  by Gerry6309

sery2831 wrote:
Gerry6309 wrote:sery2831: feel free to answer some of these.
My bad! I honestly have been behind in reading some these threads. I just got to this now!
You also owe me something else...
  by sery2831

YES! You should have it shortly via another member here. It is complete.
  by Gerry6309

The Winter Break(down) is over. Lets get back to some trivia.

Of the various cities and towns where the Boston Elevated operated in 1930, three had only one or two short routes. Name them.
  by MBTA3247

Milton, Belmont, and Chelsea