• Berkshire Flyer: Pittsfield - New York City Service via Albany

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Greg Moore

I'll still say, I'm sort of supportive of this train, but...
I'm supportive because hey, if Massachusetts wants to pay for it, let them.
But that said, if anything I don't think it's bold enough.
  • It definitely needs better marketing, both in NYC and in Albany.
  • It appears the Friday and Sunday deadheads are again a deadhead (I recall last year they were selling tickets on it).
  • The website is not showing a Sunday morning trip best I can tell, but it's not the worst idea.
  • They need to get NYS involved and open a stop at Chatham
  • Better "last mile" in Pittsfield
  • If they can't coordinate a deadhead, extend to Springfield. Basically, give travelers more options (including possibly connecting to other trains).
When my kids and I rode this on the inaugural ride two summers ago, Pittsfield definitely made an effort to have some sort of "last mile" solution, but honestly it was weak. I think they need to do a better job of integrating with local resources.

The deadhead needs to leave late enough that folks can catch a show at the Barrington Stage Company and at Tanglewood and still catch the train back to Albany (and advertise the hell out of this to the Albany folks).

To me, the biggest problem honestly isn't that it's basically a "backing move" out of Albany (let's be honest, laying new track to connect to line just north of Hudson isn't going to happen anytime soon and would probably actually LOVE customers). The biggest move is that it's a 1/2-assed attempt at building the summer market.

I still hope sometime this summer to bike to Pittsfield and catch it back on a Sunday (or, if they return to tickets available on the deadhead move) take it to Pittsfield and bike home.
I will note that honestly it needs a place to park in Pittsfield and stay out of the way of CSX.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I guess there are those who have their visions of rebuilding the 51 miles of the Berkshire Division - Danbury to Canaan- to FRA Class 3 (now FRA 4 is really dreamland, even if there is a tangent between North end of Hatch Pond and Kent where I guess you could get up to 70mph) and not less than "three a day" stopping at the attractions South of Pittsfield - and of course a stop at Woodrow so I could "walk up The Hill to SKS for Alumni Weekend" :-D :-D (sure is something to go back and see golf carts ferrying guys I knew about Campus, but I hate to think how much the School could be "on tap" for if something happened).

Always hope; CT is "reasonably" pro-passenger rail.

But finally back on topic, just think when the Commonwealth has their "four a day over the B&A" (wow, could that be a slogan), this whole discussion becomes "moot" - that is unless NY decides not to chip in and they go no further West than State Line (that was once upon a time a physical B&A-NH interchange).
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu May 02, 2024 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by Railjunkie

HenryAlan wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:59 am
Railjunkie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:59 am
Most of the people that are spending money on that train are not tourist. We do have a nickname for this train. Which I shall choose not to share as I know there are lurkers about...
Okay, well that's not a very clear comment. Do you mean to say that most who use it are folks who live in or near Pittsfield, going to Albany instead? Or do you mean that it's people coming from New York that you don't see as a useful contribution in Massachusetts?
The second part of that statement, they do make a contribution just not the type the Fed or the State would like.
  by cle

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:32 am
But finally back on topic, just think when the Commonwealth has their "four a day over the B&A" (wow, could that be a slogan), this whole discussion becomes "moot" - that is unless NY decides not to chip in and they go no further West than State Line (that was once upon a time a physical B&A-NH interchange).
I think those 4 comprise: the Lake Shore + 1 x new Albany-Boston service.

And then two (hopefully) extended regionals from Springfield to Boston.

For now. And maybe east of Springfield they'll have more competitive running times, vs the trundle through New London (nothing beats the 90 on that journey, pro-rail as I am).

But I don't see tons west of Springfield. And yes I would think adding Chatham (which was on Connects and has a lovely station building to boot Berkshire Bank out of, and a new Shaker Museum in the old mill) - and maybe also Westfield (the routing via Beckett, shudder, avoids a lot of the attractions from the Lee 90 junction) - would make it more compelling.

Or a "Berkshires Parkway" type set-up by Loves....basically West Stockbridge/Lenox... could be the move.