• Becoming an engineer on the T

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

What are steps or precedures ot becoming a engineer for the T? How long do i have to be a conductor, etc.?

by CSX Conductor

don't have to be a conductor if you get your license first :wink:

by CRail

I too, have the same questions

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i found out from an engineer, that anyone for the T needs 500 runnin hours as a conductor before you can apply for an engineer, then you have to take test, etc.
  by SnoozerZ49

If you are asking about the Commuter Rail system, please remember that it is operated by MBCR and the crews are not(thank goodness) employees of the MBTA.

MBCR has just hired a group of engineers. They stated clearly that preference would be given to applicants that were already certified as engineers. As a result I don't think any conductors were given the opportunity. I like to know where someone can go to get the opportunity to be an engineer, everybody wants to hire a certified but nowbody wants to spend the time or money to train anybody!

MBCR has gone against tradition recently in the hiring of a new class of Assistant Conductors and now these engineers by giving preference to individuald outside the company. As a result many people that have been toiling in entry level jobs on the railroad over the past few years now have to realize that they have no advantage over anybody that walks in off the street even though they have been working faithfully in another craft.

In terms of how you get a job, I guess you get trained somewhere else first and don't expect to get your foot in the door and earn a chance to be trained as an engineer.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

oh ok, thanks for the info

by CSX Conductor

Snoozer, perhaps that clause about "no experience or license required" was simply so they couldn't be subject to discrimination law suits.

by SnoozerZ49

Hey CSX,
you are probably correct. I know they think they are in a pinch for engineers and really don't want to spend the time or money to train them. Robbing them from CSX, Guilford or Amtrak is a lot easier I suppose.

I was just irritated that recently they have been passing over employees and bringing in people off the street. For years you might be able to get your boy on the railroad at a young age as a car cleaner. When they were ready to accept more responsibility they could try out for an Assistant Conductor job. Recently MBCR put a class of twelve people on, none of whom were promoted from other crafts. The unions objected and another class was put on. Now the "newbies" will hav better seniority than the guys that have been toiling in the coach yards. I just don't think that is right.

I work with some great conductors who would probably make great engineers, instead they will get jumped by GRS, CSX or Amtrak guys. I just don't think that is right either.

Well, I have clearly complained enough on this matter! I'll say no more.

by CSX Conductor

Yeah, I agree Snoozer.

The same sorta thing happened when CSX took over, guys refused engineer school and when they were finally forced to go, they got to bump guys who went to school before them.......CSX goes by seniority with the company, not Train Service or Engineservice, such as Conrail used to.

As far as being in need of engineers, we are very short right now also.....with 2 guys retiring in a few days and about 5 others retiring by next Jan/Feb. But they didn't send anyone to engineer school this winter, because they didn't have enough conductors, or at least not enough qualified to work on locals..........and why?........because the company doesn't want to pay for conductors to qualify on all the jobs, which causes jobs to stand hard!!! it's their own problem....lol

by jg greenwood

SnoozerZ49 wrote:Hey CSX,
you are probably correct. I know they think they are in a pinch for engineers and really don't want to spend the time or money to train them. Robbing them from CSX, Guilford or Amtrak is a lot easier I suppose.

I was just irritated that recently they have been passing over employees and bringing in people off the street. For years you might be able to get your boy on the railroad at a young age as a car cleaner. When they were ready to accept more responsibility they could try out for an Assistant Conductor job. Recently MBCR put a class of twelve people on, none of whom were promoted from other crafts. The unions objected and another class was put on. Now the "newbies" will hav better seniority than the guys that have been toiling in the coach yards. I just don't think that is right.

I work with some great conductors who would probably make great engineers, instead they will get jumped by GRS, CSX or Amtrak guys. I just don't think that is right either.

Well, I have clearly complained enough on this matter! I'll say no more.
Having been hired by the IC as an engineer, "off the street," I've encountered resentment from trainmen waiting for promotion to engineer.
You cannot fault the carrier for this policy. They save a ton of money employing previously certified engineers. You cannot fault the previously certified engineer for seeking employment. You can, however, place the blame exactly where it belongs: the union that agreed to this policy.

by Noel Weaver

On Conrail, prior to my retirement, all train service people hired after a
certain time had to eventually go to engineer's school in their seniority
order. Most of the conductors were happy to go and benefited from this
policy and agreement but there were a few who did not want to do that as
they were happy just sitting on the left side and doing little.
In spite of what the U.T.U. would lead you to believe, there is a difference
between the two positions and a licensed engineer regardless of where
he/she came from should get the first shot if engineers are hired. They
have already been trained and certified although they will need to do the
book of rules if they are different from where they were originally certified
and they will always have to qualify on the physical characteristics of the
railroad involved.
Being trained to become a licensed engineer is a rather lengthly process
and anybody anywhere should grab the opportunity no matter where they
work or who they work for. I personally do not see why a railroad
company should be compelled to transfer someone from another job to
engineer when they have not been certified and will be of no use to the
railroad as an engineer for quite some time after the transfer when there
are already certified engineers who are willing to transfer or hire on as
new employees.
If you want to be an engineer and the railroad will not allow you to change
crafts, you can always resign, sign up with one of the training academies
that advertise in Trains Magazine or elsewhere, pay for your training and
then get a job on completion of their program.
Of course, don't expect a job as an engineer if you can't pass the physical
or drug tests when you are ordered to go for the examination.
Noel Weaver

by CSX Conductor

Noel Weaver wrote:
Being trained to become a licensed engineer is a rather lengthly process
On the contrary Noel, 3 out of 4 guys that attended CSX's engineer school in Cumberland beginning Jan. 10 of this year just got their licenses last Thursday and were already signed-off as qualified on the B&A from Beacon Park to Selkirk.

by Silverliner II

CSX Conductor wrote:Yeah, I agree Snoozer.

The same sorta thing happened when CSX took over, guys refused engineer school and when they were finally forced to go, they got to bump guys who went to school before them.......CSX goes by seniority with the company, not Train Service or Engineservice, such as Conrail used to.

As far as being in need of engineers, we are very short right now also.....with 2 guys retiring in a few days and about 5 others retiring by next Jan/Feb. But they didn't send anyone to engineer school this winter, because they didn't have enough conductors, or at least not enough qualified to work on locals..........and why?........because the company doesn't want to pay for conductors to qualify on all the jobs, which causes jobs to stand hard!!! it's their own problem....lol
We have the exact same problem down here on Philly on CSX. I'm a road engineer who keeps getting called off my regular pool assignment to work a particular local because not enough engineers are qualified, for reasons you illustrate above.

I also miss the system seniority we had as engineers in the Conrail days....